OT - Brian and I are morons....

Pam Hart
on 11/9/08 7:25 pm - Easton, PA
Ok...so maybe not morons.  But we don't know what to do because we've never set anything up like this before.  We've never actually owned a washer and dryer.  When we lived in our last house, we were within 10 mins of my parents house....so we went over there to do laundry.

We have a laundry area with electric hook ups (two outlets I guess one for the washer and one for the dyer if needed)  The washer area obviously has cold and ho****er hook ups.

There is also a gas line coming out of the wall.  So it appears to me, that the dryer can be a gas dryer as well. 

Brian hasn't hooked either one up before.  Obviously, neither have I.

One set is a matching set under 3 years old with a gas dryer.
The other set is a non matching set under one year old with an electric dryer.
Both are comparable in price.  The non matching set is about 10 mins closer to us.

I don't know which one to take and which one would be "easier" to set up.  Do I need a plumber or somebody to set these things up?  Or because all the hook ups are there...is it just a matter of connecting things?

??  We're lost!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 11/9/08 7:54 pm - Easton, PA
Pam I believe that if you go with the fully electric set you can do them yourselves with basic tools. As far as I can remember gas is tricky and someone who knows what they are doing needs to do it.

I believe that it is just screwing things on for the electric set and plugging them in!

Best of Luck

Liz
Pam Hart
on 11/9/08 7:56 pm - Easton, PA
Thanks for the imput liz!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
jojobear98
on 11/9/08 8:14 pm - Gettysburg, PA
I would go for the Gas unless you know someone who can hook it up for you. It's cheaper in the long run but you don't want to take a chance of falling asleep and not waking up!!!! And if you don't have the gas dryer hooked up right, you could have a leak.

Just my opinion. But an electric one is very quick and easy to plug in and go. Good luck and glad you guys are getting settled in and organized.

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

Laureen S.
on 11/9/08 9:41 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Gas dryers, believe it or not are cheaper to run and in my opinion, drys the clothes better than electric one, you might try calling the utility company in your area and ask what it would cost to have them hook up the dryer. . .  or ask the management company of where it is you moved to. . .

Either way, good luck!

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/08 9:47 pm - Eastern, PA
You probably know this, so if you do sorry for being redundant...

Make sure the electric plug for an electric dryer is a big three-prong outlet, and not just a standard 110v outlet.
cleos_mom
on 11/9/08 9:50 pm - phila., PA
Hi Pam

ask someone who knows about this before you buy it .sometimes electric dryers have different line of current and you can't just plug it into a regular outlet.
I am thinking that because there is a gas line you need to get the gas dryer ther are 2 regular electric outlets correct? well you still have to plug a gas dryer into an electric outlet because they have electronic ignitions. gas dryers are cheaper to run and dry faster you can call any local plumber to hook it up .you may have to go to home depot or any appliance store to buy a flex pipe or maybe they will give it to you .you need a flex pipe set for the gas line (not expensive) and some teflon tape . It is also a good idea to buy new washer hoses before you install the washer
don't buy extra parts until you p/u the dryer and see what they give you. maybe the people that you buy it from can help you . it is pretty simple it just sounds complicated. but you must have the flex pipe
you put some teflon tape around the thread and hook up 1 end to the gas line and put teflon taple around the other side and hook it up to the dryer makesure it is tight   and turn the little knob straight   on the gas line .make sure it is on tight then get some sudsy water like with dish detergent and put it around both connections if bubbles come up then you have a leak and you have to correct it .if there is a leak you will smell it.

or you can PM me and we will see if we can come & help you
Good L:uck
Susan
(deactivated member)
on 11/9/08 10:51 pm
Pam...

I ma with everyone else I think the gas dryer is the way to go ....Can't help you with the set you though because my friend did mine when I moved around my laundry room. I just stood there looking cute while he worked.
Happy to be in
Onederland

on 11/10/08 4:49 am
The gas dryer will cut the drying time in half, however, I have found that in Philadelphia (which you are not in) that electric is cheaper than gas.  Can't wait to buy an electric car.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views