Marinated Butternut Squash: Scapece Di Zucca

Shannon O.
on 11/8/08 2:02 am - Reading, PA

I thought that this might be a fun twist on something considered boring... and a great idea for thanksgiving... I also think that you can get away by using less oil as well for the roasting... I would coat them with Pam and then use a tablespoon or 2 of oil for roasting...

Marinated Butternut Squash: Scapece Di Zucca

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/marinated-bu tternut-squash-scapece-di-zucca-recipe/index.html

Ingredients

• 2 medium butternut squash, seeded and cut into 1-inch slices
  • Salt and pepper
  • 4 tablespoons plus 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 medium red onion, sliced paper thin
  • 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 clove garlic, sliced paper-thin
  • 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Season the squash with salt and pepper, drizzle with 4 tablespoons olive oil, and place in a single layer on 1 or 2 cookie sheets.

Bake in the oven until just tender, about 18 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, stir together the remaining oil, vinegar, onion, chile flakes, oregano, and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Remove the squash from the oven and pour the marinade over. Allow to cool for 20 minutes in the marinade, sprinkle with fresh mint leaves, and serve. This dish can be made earlier in the day but should not be refrigerated.

Carol C.
on 11/8/08 6:00 am - Mohnton, PA
Are you trying to kill me?  Everything sounds so very good.  I'm licking my chops and smelling them already.  Unfair.  ;)    At two months out I am still taking things slowly, but I'll save these for later when I become more human.  Thanks!

Carol
RNY - 09/08/08
Highest Weight: 258
Day of Surgery: 247
Current: 157
Goal: 150

Shannon O.
on 11/8/08 9:16 am - Reading, PA
you can always roast up squash and sweet potatoes then toss them into a blender with some chicken broth and a little milk and you got a great soup as well... could even toss in some thyme and sage into it as well... then later you can add chunks of chicken to it once it is blended...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views