Got A Date

Adiamondpearl
on 11/7/08 12:18 pm
Hi everyone I got a pat date for 11/24 and a surgery date for 12/04, tell me a little more about the liquid diet and also I heard someone say that if you gain weight before your surgery they make you 
lose it , I think I may have gained some weight since my initial consultation, I dont have a scale that goes above 350...
ladychief231
on 11/7/08 7:40 pm - Douglassville, PA
Congratulations!

First let me say that I had Dr Boe and he is great. I had not gained any weight between the consultation and the surgery so I can't comment on that. He will put you on a 2 week liquid diet and expects you to lose weight and shrink you liver during that phase. The liquid diet is hard but manageable if you are determined. The first three days are the hardest then it gets easier.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Teresa

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

Pam Hart
on 11/7/08 8:06 pm - Easton, PA
Congrats!!

I've met Dr. Boe before...and he's a wonderful man (my surgeon was Dr. Pupkova) and all who have had him love him and are in excellent hands!

Yes...if you've gained weight from your initial consult to PATs they will make you lose it.  The liquid diet Dr. Boe puts you on is, as others have said, to help shrink your liver.  Shrinking your liver helps give them a little more "room" to work in there.  Also...it helps clear out your bowels so there is less risk of infection. 

I did not have to do the liquid diet - however - I did a full liquid diet on my own before surgery cause I had gained weight.  I'm not sure what Dr. Boe's liquid diet is....one of his patients can better explain it.  On my full liquid diet I had:

Crystal lite
SF Ice Pops
SF/FF pudding
SF/Nonfat yogurt
Ricotta cheese (NOTE:  This is NOT a liquid...but because it was self in flicted for me...I had some)
NF milk
Protein shakes
Decaf Tea

Try to cut out caffeine now if you drink it.  You will not be allowed to have it for at least 6 weeks after surgery (although I basically gave it up and even a year later if I have one cup of caffeine every 2 weeks, that is a lot)

Also...try using sugar substitute now if you don't already.  My favorite is Splenda.  Remember...after surgery you run the risk of dumping syndrome if you have two much "added" sugar...so making these changes now will help in the long run.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Shannon O.
on 11/7/08 9:56 pm - Reading, PA
I would do everything Pam has said and this... switch your milk to skim if you haven't already... also switch out your ketchup and bbq sauce to sugar free ones (heniz for the ketchup and KC Masterpiece for the BBQ)...

Also start doing protein shakes for breakfast and lunch if you can... one it will help you get used to it before hand... it will also help you lose some weight before the clear liquid diet... I did this for me because I didn't remember what I weighed at my concultation and it helped me to lose 7 to 10 pounds... and then I only did the clear liquid diet for a week and lose 15 to 20 pounds doing that...

Good luck and congrats!

Stephanie Y.
on 11/8/08 3:06 am - East Greenville, PA
Hi everyone!  I am new here.  My surg is scheduled for 11/13/2008 so  less then a week till my WLS!!  I am currently on Dr. Boes liquid diet.  I was told everyone of his patients has to do it as well as most of the other Dr.s require it now (my friend has Pupkova)

I am allowed to have:

water (64 oz)
Decaf tea and coffee
sugar free popcycles
Sugar free Jello
Protein shakes (love the GNC Chocolate)(onsale right know!!!)
broth
Very small amount of milk (only 1% or less)

they do not allow you to have yogert, cottage cheese anymore.  They called it the limited liquid diet, not the full liquid diet.  They told me the full comes after surg.

Good luck to you.  I have to admit i have cheated a few times.  It is really really hard.  I did choose to cheat with beaf Jerky because it is high in portein, very low in fat and calories and expands in your stomach and gives you alot of chewing to help with the oral fixation.

Stephanie
Adiamondpearl
on 11/8/08 3:48 am
Thanks guys  for all your input!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views