ring stuck HELP

KCA
on 11/7/08 6:34 pm
OMG.  I went for all the pre-op stuff this week (my surgery is the 11th) and they said I absolutely had to get my wedding ring off before surgery!  I have had it on for 26 years - and as you may imagine, I was 100 lbs thinner then!  I CANNOT get it off.  No use talking about all the things I could do to get it off intact, I have tried.....its not coming off.  Has anyone ever had a ring cut off - how do I find a jewler who will do it? 
Pam Hart
on 11/7/08 8:10 pm - Easton, PA
I don't know about a jewler who does it.  Although I'm sure if you call around you could find one.

However, if you go to an ER (which will cost you your copay and what not) they will be able to cut it off of you.

Have you tried KY jelly?  Run your hands under really really cold water until you can't stand it anymore.  Then put some KY jelly on your finger and try to get it under as much as possible.  Instead of pulling it off...try twisting it off slowly and moving it up at the same time.  The cold water is to help shrink your tissue temporarily...and the KY to help lube it off.

Good luck!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 11/7/08 9:02 pm - Eastern, PA
Soak your hand in a bucket of ice water for 20 minutes or so, then grease it up and give it a huge yank.
Shannon O.
on 11/7/08 9:52 pm - Reading, PA
well I can tell you how my hubby did it... and this was an accident... stand on the back of a deliverly van aka the bumper and reach for a ladder... miss and smack hand and get it pinched/stuck between the ladder and the van because he slid off the bumper... ring finger swells 5 times the normal size... the person he was delivering to pulled out a jig saw and had him place his hand in a vice to get it off...

I would do what Pam and Norm said... I think you can get it off without getting it cut off...

btw... hubby still hasn't ever went back to wearing his ring... he has a ring of scar tissue there and every time he bumps it hard he can't help to remember he is married to me lol...

KCA
on 11/8/08 6:43 am
Oh my - luckily I didn't have to go through all that....LOL.  Thanks for sharing this story!
Well, thanks everyone for your advice!  I tried everything at home with no success.  So, I went to a local jeweler - he was so nice.  In no time he had it off - it is a wide band, so I thought it would need two cuts, but it only needed one.  He told me to wait two weeks and come back to have it re-sized.  I didn't get into telling him about WLS and all that, but I don't plan on having it resized, just repaired.  One of my goals is to get it back on at its original size.

BTW - he didn't even charge me for the service!

Just three days to go...
Thank you again everyone!
Pam Hart
on 11/8/08 10:51 am - Easton, PA
Thanks so much for the update, I was wondering about you!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
carolinpa
on 11/9/08 11:52 pm
Any good jewler can do it - I had to have mine cut off - they have a tool that will make a thin cut and then you can have it fixed as well.  It was very quick and simple to do. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views