Poop question-Kinda gross...

Sarah G.
on 11/6/08 7:10 am - PA
Hey everyone. Its been a while since Ive posted on here. But I have been having some issues that I wanted to ask all you post-ops about. Im going on 15 months post-surgery and have been doing pretty well. Aside from some issues with my energy (nothing that B12 shots havent helped) Ive been just fine. Well...about two weeks ago (and here comes the gross part) I noticed the strangest thing...my poop was white! My first thought was ...wow...must have been something I ate. But...it has never gone back to the normal brown color. For the last two weeks my bowel movements have been anywhere from white in color to grey and even yellow. Its started to worry me. The only other symptom Ive noticed is increased thirst.
I went to my family Dr yesterday and she wouldnt touch me. She wanted to call my surgeon down at Barix first...not a bad thing. But I find it odd she didnt even order blood tests. I guess she wanted to speak with them first.
I know it can be linked with Liver problems, malabsorption, and other things. My question...has anyone ever had this happen to them? Is this common in gastric bypass patients?

Nicole0216
on 11/6/08 7:35 am - Lancaster, PA
I have not had this issues but I wish you luck in getting to the bottom of it.
lauraanne715
on 11/6/08 7:56 am - Pottstown, PA
My pooop was whitish gray right after surgery...but has over the last few months started to return to its normal color...I chalked it up to the surgery...as for you I would def call your Barix doctor and see what should be checked.  Maybe your levels are low in some areas??

Keep us posted
Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

Pam Hart
on 11/6/08 8:58 am - Easton, PA
I did not scroll down to read the rest of the replies...

Anyway - it sounds like it could be gallbladder related.  Do you still have one?  A stone blocking the bile would cause the discoloration in your poop.  It's also why your primary might not want to do anything - she may want your surgeon to perform this surgery.  Although....you don't have to go to a bariatric surgeon for follow up abdominal surgeries.

If you don't have your gallbladder - it could still be a stone in the duct that is left behind (ask Karen about her ordeal earlier this year with all that...)  I'm glad you are not in any pain - as gallbladder and stones and what not can be quite painful.

You are also correct that it could be liver related.

If you can't get an appointment with someone soon...see if Barix or your primary will at least fax over a script for blood work.  You should have(in my humble opinion I might add):  CBC w/ differential, CMP, amylase, lipase, LFT

Good luck!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Sarah G.
on 11/6/08 9:04 am - PA
Hey Pam...
I do still have my gallbladder. So maybe that could be it. Although..Im not in much pain. My belly gets really bloated and gassy at times though. And the pain I feel with that is really bad. I expect to hear back from my dr tomorrow...and lets hope she was able to speak with someone at Barix..
Mary Benford
on 11/6/08 10:08 am - Emmaus, PA
Hey Sarah!

Sorry about the problems..   I haven't seen you on here in FOREVER, and can I just take a minute to say how amazingly gorgeous, and fantastic you look!

Way to go girl!

Success is a journey... not a destination!     

Sarah G.
on 11/6/08 11:17 am - PA
Awe...Thanks Mary! You look amazing yourself!!!
Shan08
on 11/6/08 10:27 pm - the Skook, PA

I've been noticing PALE(r) POOP too.
I called my doc's office, spoke with some Dr. on-call, and even after telling him that I had already been diagnosed with "fatty liver", he told me not to worry.... end of discussion.  I also had my GB out during the wls surgery on 8/11... so at least I know it can't be that.

I don't feel content with that "don't worry" advice.  Of course, I'm a worrier by nature, but I'd rather have things checked so I could officially not worry and chalk it up to another non-universal side effect of the wls.

Hope we get to the bottom of it!  Good luck.

Shannon

Sarah G.
on 11/6/08 10:56 pm - PA
Hey Shannon...
I wouldnt feel to good about that either. Ive been doing a lot of reading online and what Ive gathered is that there are several serious health issues that could be causing the discoloration. Im not risking it at all. If your having any other symptoms along with that, I would insist that they at least do some bloodwork to check your levels if nothing else. Good luck to you too. I should be hearing back from my Dr today on what tests she intends to do...Ill keep you updated!
Shannon O.
on 11/6/08 10:53 pm - Reading, PA
I would call Barix myself if I was you... just incase your PCP doc got busy and forgot... it does happen... it might be an easy fix... or it could be a lot more serious... so I would just call them...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views