is too much protien bad.

KimZ
on 11/7/08 11:54 am - PA
This topic seems to bounce up every now and again.  From right out of the gate I was getting in double my protein (Yes - double).  The way it was originally communicated to me was ..'you have to try to get in as much as 78 gms of protein a day...'  In my head - I thought well if I have to get in as much as that - then more than that would be good.  Wrong.      I learned that double is not good as it can overly tax the kidneys.  Period.

I addressed this issue of too much protein converting to fat calories with 3 different nuts and all told me that it was a myth - however all three did tell me to becareful of the effect on my kidneys.  I also learned that our protein "goal" given to us at surgery is just a number calculated by your gender, height and weight - nothing more - so basically (in their words) its an 'estimated guess'.

For me - at surgery I was told 78 gms of protein per day.  I routinely get between 99 and 135 per day (the average is 120 per day).  I have addressed this on a regular basis with the nuts, Dr. Boe and my PCP.  For me - all are in agreement that based on my activity level that it is good for me.  I run 6 - 8 miles every day and core train 5 - 6 days a week, plus now I have added spinning 3 times a week.  They said I need the extra to keep me going and now at almost 11 months out - I am starting to see how well this is working for me.

Bottom line is - the number given at surgery is an estimate.  Double is bad.  Too much taxes your kidneys and if you really arent sure ask your doctor.  Personally, I think you will be fine and you are doing great.

Kim Z

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views