is too much protien bad.

sbrunell
on 11/6/08 2:30 am - Bensalem, PA
Well, I figure it is, and I see the Nuts tomorrow anyway for my 6 mo post op appt.

But my goal is 99g, and yesterday I had 107g. It's kinda hard to guess at the protein, when I go to the salad bar, but I pile in the cheese and meats...the total weight of my salad was 8 oz...I figured that 30 protein seemed reasonable. I only use vinegar, so as a meal, I figured it's ok.

So far today, I am already at 77, and it's 1:30.  Below is my menu....

B:   Nectar Cappacino + skim milk   (30 grams)
S:   1 egg w/ some Feta                       (9 grams)
L:   South Beach Chicken Caprese    (30 g and yummy)
S:   Greek Yogurt                                     (15 g)
D:   Mussels marinara (free sample)  (20g for 3 oz)
S:   SF Ice Cream 1/4 c                           (4 g)

Plus I put 4 oz of milk in my a.m. coffee, and I put another 4 oz of milk in my Decaf at nite for another 9grams
                                                                  -------------------------
                                                                   117 grams
                                                        -------------------------------------

Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Liz R.
on 11/6/08 2:36 am - Easton, PA
Steve - too much protein IS a bad thing - if you go way over and it is every day, going 8 grams over is fine. I forget the scenario but it is something like where you go over in protein it converts to calories or something like that - I believe Nan was encountering it - hopefully she'll reply.

Liz

PS - how's that little guy of yours doing?
dit657
on 11/6/08 2:37 am - Boothwyn, PA
You're not going over by that much most of the time so I wouldn't be too concerned about it - I have days where I'm 20+ points over and some days (particularly weekends) where I fall below almost 20 - having more is better - it shoudln't hurt you unless you're getting a lot of empty calories along with it. But you're seeing the nut tomorrow and she's definitely more educated on that stuff than I am.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
(deactivated member)
on 11/6/08 2:41 am
I am not a NUT or a doctor, but I believe that there is a point where too much protein can cause damage....to your liver I think...but we are talking WAY more than what we are putting in.  A general rule that I have heard, is that anything over 10 grams of your prescribed amount is just extra calories and isn't really doing you any good.  Of course, there will always be different opinions on everything, so follow what the NUT tells you to do.  I can bounce up and down...I don't always stick to exactly my 76 grams, but I stick pretty close. 
Laureen S.
on 11/6/08 2:52 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Too much converts to fat calories, so while I would not worry about 8 g or a little over from time to time, they give us guidelines for a reason.  I think your physical activity level also would help out, but I'm neither a doctor, nor a nutritionist, so perhaps you should call either one of those (what I am repeating is stuff I picked up on OH), especially since you can at any time ;)

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 11/6/08 3:39 am

The nut told me that if you are within 10 grams of your protein goal, you're okay

If you go over by 20 or more and you are taking in more than 1000 calories, the excess is converting to excess calories, if you stall out, the culprit will be this.  Your body will think you are maintaining since the excess calories could put you in that range.  For steady weight loss, keep your protein to within 10 grams of target and your carbs within the same range as your fat maximum for the day.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

jjs1981
on 11/6/08 4:00 am - PHILADELPHIA, PA
My protien goal is 79 grams a day. At my last visit with Dr. P, she told me that is was okay to go over by 20% but not any more than that.

Consult           Day of Surgery          Currently        Goal
 282lbs                270lbs                     168lbs          165lbs?
2/7/2007          12/7/2007                  10/18/2008

jackie j
on 11/6/08 4:05 am - Glenmoore, PA

The other vets are right, too much will eventually convert to fat.  However, what I see is slightly different.  I'm wondering about your portion sizes this soon out.   They seem a little too big to me as I'm assuming you are eating every 3hrs.    I'm just afraid that 2yrs out you'll want double what you are eating now and you will be able to do it.   Most everything I see here would be considered a "slider" as it's pretty moist or has a sauce.   That encourages bigger portion sizes.   I think it's time for you to dry things up a little or you risk the chance of wanting to pile in more as your appetite increases between now and 9mos.  Your weight loss will slow down or stop and you'll get frustrated.  Read this and pay attention to the change in density and water loading you should be enacting around 6mos.    http://www.amylhwilliams.com/pouchrulesfordummies.html

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/08 4:09 am - Poconos, PA
My understanding is that your protein should not exceed more than 30-35% of your total daily caloric intake. Sorry but I am a complete moron when it comes to converting % to grams to calories so I don't know the actual grams per day or per pound of weight. I guess that would depend on the individual anyway since we don't all consume the same number of calories.

Ok so anyways, what I do know is that your kidneys are thrown into overdrive as it tries to rid the body of the excess protein and that it causes a buildup of toxic ketones which to those who follow the Atkins Diet is no big deal but what they fail to realize is that as your kidneys strain to try to get rid of the ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, especially if you exercise heavily. The water you're losing will of course show up as weight loss on the scale but besides losing water weight, you're also losing muscle mass and bone calcium and the dehydration puts a strain on your heart as well.
Pam Hart
on 11/6/08 9:26 am - Easton, PA

Everyone pretty much summed it up.

The thing I was gonna mention, which Val did, was the kidney thing.  It can cause kidney damage, especially with the way we absorb thing.

That being said - I go over on protein almost daily now that I was put on maintenance and told to drop from 70 to 50.  However...they also told me at that point that if I went up to 70, that would be ok for maintenance...as long as I didn't notice I was gaining anything.

Increased anything eventually causes increased calories...and regardless of wls or not...the basic truth of the matter is calories in vs. calories out.  If you are putting more calories in (even from things like fruit) than you are putting out...you will gain weight.

Pam

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views