RP: It's November...Im back to bug you guys!

pitablond
on 11/6/08 2:23 am - Harrisburg, PA
Thanks Kathy!   I saw that if you had over 100 lbs to lose, RNY would be better.  Do you know what is considered high BMI for the lapband? 
dit657
on 11/6/08 2:33 am - Boothwyn, PA
I think (but am not positive about this) that if your BMI was over 50 at Barix they would not do lap band, they would only do RNY. All facilities and surgeons are different, tho - as is insurance - so be sure to check it all out before making your decision.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
amy C.
on 11/6/08 2:49 am
i have noticed people who have the band go back and have the RNY sometimes, my cousin is looking into wls and went to an   orientation here in De and she came to that conclusion too.  Now i also know people who have had the band and are very happy with it and the results.  For me i was dead set aagainst the bypass but thats what ended up getting.  In my opinion after looking at different things it seemed to  me that there are more things that complicate a band and they happen at a more frequent rate.   That was my decision to go to RNY.   Now i had only 75lbs to lose in my mind but the charts had me losing about 85 -90 I believe it is.  I have had  a great experience with my RNY even when things were rough i didnt regret it.  By the way im 5 months out and 12 lbs from my initial goal of losing 75lbs--------YEAHHHHHH.   

AMy
jackie j
on 11/6/08 3:03 am - Glenmoore, PA
I rarely get all wordy these days, but hey, why not??? 

My alltime high was 312.  I went into surgery at 299.   My doc wouldn't give me a goal #.  I thought size 18 (i was a 30/32) maybe?   I had Diabetes, HBP, GERD, Arthritus (weight bearing joint issues), and no periods for 2.5 years so I couldn't get pregnant.    My main goals were to get rid of the Diabetes and get pregnant...it wasn't a "get to a certain size or certain weight" thing for me.    I chose RNY specifically to get rid of the 4 needles a day I was taking.   It worked.  It did not work with the fertility, the window of op for that has passed I'm afraid w/advancing age.

My reasoning:  I was told that with the band they don't want you throwing up so if I lost the weight and got pregnant I was afraid of slippage with morning sickness, didn't really like the extra object in my body and was told (at the time-4 years ago) that they only had stats for up to 10 years and then I"d probably have to have a replacement or I'd gain weight if it was removed since I was only 40.   All that may have changed by now.   It also wouldn't keep me from eating sugary things so the Diabetes wouldn't necessarily be "cured".     With DS you malabsorb more but you can eat anything you want so if you don't have diabetes to worry about and are good with your vites its an option.   Also, you might find a surgeon you love and he only does certain procedures or the insurance co.  may only cover hospitals that are "Centers of Excellence" or that have follow-up support.  Lots to investigate.   

My results so far with RNY:    The Diabetes A1c went from an 8.3 to 4.9.  A 6 means you have Diabetes so I'm pretty safe there.  I was done w/needles the day of surg and off metformin within 3 weeks.   No HBP, cholesterol is excellent, no GERD and while the joint pains went away for a while they are back from the hanging skin now.   Skin depends on your age and genetics, you may not hang as bad as me.  There will be PS when I hit my goal.  So 2.9 mos. out....I lost 126lbs initially, went from 30/32 to a 14/stretchy 12's. 

You would never have convinced me I'd be in a 12.  Here's the kicker....When it came, it scared me, I realize that now.  Your mind is always about 6 mos. behind your weightloss, remember I said that, it'll make more sense to you later.  Seeing bones sticking out and having my family constantly complaining about me jabbing them and telling me I was getting too skinny and looked sad freaked me out so I put a little back on (bad move).   You will go through many adjustments in inches and distribution....just let it happen, keep it contained with spanx, or whatever, and deal with it all in the end.  Ignore the negative voices around you.  I am now fighting to lose what I regained now that my head has caught up to the mirror and now that I feel "fat" again.  I will get to that PS goal.  AND, the family isn't fighting for it; I am.   (Not meaning to scare you, just "being real" w/you.)  

I've taken that Real Age test and where I used to test as being 49yo I now test as being 39yo (I'm 44).  I'm sooo much healthier!!    This was the best thing I've EVER done for myself but it is a chore, I won't lie.   It is far more mental a process than a physical one.  Once the surgery is done, it's done, the change is made.  From there on out its a mental task to follow your program and take your vitamins.  Even following the program to a T you might have issues (it's very individualized).  You always need to put your nutritional needs first.  Mental Coping skills are essential to learn.  After year 1 (which is a fun, fun ride) it gets tougher.  Many turn in other unhealthy directions to take up the time they used to eat or to help them handle stressful life situations.  Instead, you need to turn to exercise.  If you hate exercise, so what, learn to love it.  There are so many kinds out there you'll find something you like.  Support systems must play a part; meet as many folks as you can.  Educate the family living with you on your needs, they can't live one way and you another.  Only those that have done this truly understand.  You can't do this by yourself.  In my 4 years around here, I've yet to meet a successful patient that totally did it on their own.  It's just way too complicated.   Good Luck in whatever you decide; I look forward to being part of your support system to getting healthier!  It's quite the rollercoaster ride but YOU WILL FIT IN THE SEAT!!!    

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

pitablond
on 11/6/08 3:53 am - Harrisburg, PA
Thank you so much!  I love your choice of wording! 
Nicole0216
on 11/6/08 7:40 am - Lancaster, PA
what a great post J. Very informative. Miss you.
cleos_mom
on 11/6/08 4:32 am - phila., PA
Hi
for me I didn't want to be able to eat sugar  and to much fats. I diddn't want to to have to go tto the Drs. every so often to get a fill for the lapband and your insurance only pays for fills for so long and then you have to pay.
I didn't just want to eat less food I wanted to eat the right foods and no sugar and I wanted to llimit my fat and with the RNY you have to eat leass fat and no sugar it is all a matter of choice.
Good luck with your choice
Susan
Pam Hart
on 11/6/08 6:04 am - Easton, PA
I chose RNY because I know myself.  I could easily out eat the band if you will.  The band strictly limits your amount of food to take in.  I was never a huge volume eater...I was a grazer.  Now...you can still do that w/ RNY and the band so that modification I needed to make on my own.

However...with RNY I have the risk of becoming ill if I eat sugar or high fat foods.  Have I had them?  Yes, in small quantities.  Have I dumped?  Yes.  Which prevents me from eating any more of it.

Carbs are still a big issue for me.  I am just over a year out...and have not regained...and have maintained my goal weight for the past 6 weeks.  But I know from reading others posts...that excess carbs (well excess anything) can cause weight gain.  I also find like many I can eat a lot of crackers and pretzels and things like that....because they are a "slider" food and just kind of go down and don't make you feel full.  Again, this modification is a daily committment with myself.

Good luck on your decision!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Nicole0216
on 11/6/08 7:42 am - Lancaster, PA
I looked at the band and decided that since I had 200 lbs to lose that there was no way I could do that with the band. I knew I could totally eat around it. I kind of wish now that maybe I had the DS it seems to be better for heavy weights long term. But it was not available to me. So i had RNY. It was the best decision. Jackie is right. I have a tool but it is up to me to use it at this point, if I dont I gain. The tool used me initially and now I use it,
Shannon O.
on 11/6/08 10:58 pm - Reading, PA
I orginally was going for lap-band... but after getting turned down by my insurance I waited a while and went for gastric bypass... and I'm glad I did... I can't cheat and have sugar or lots of fats... which you can still have with lap-band.. which basically controls how much you eat... not what you eat...

So, can you control yourself not to eat those things... also if your body doesn't like the lapband... will the insurance pay for you to get it switched to something else like gastric bypass?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views