RP: It's November...Im back to bug you guys!

pitablond
on 11/5/08 11:17 pm - Harrisburg, PA
So...it's November and open enrollment for my employer.  YAY!  I can finally switch my insurance to a PPO which covers (IN FULL) the surgeries if medically necessary.  I'm pulling out my handy dandy binder full of information and reading up on the information just in case I have forgot it in the last 3 months.  And I still come back to the question "which surgery is right for me?".  I know that I need to decide this for myself...but can you guys tell me how you decided whether the RNY or lapband was right for you?  Enlighten me people!!    Sorry, I'm a bit hyper this morning!
ladychief231
on 11/5/08 11:36 pm - Douglassville, PA
Ashley,

How much weight do you need to lose? You are right, only you can decide for yourself. You may want to read some posts on the lap-band board (if you haven't done so already) to see what kinds of issues they are having.

In my opinion if you are going to do this I would have RNY over the band. Over the long term I think it's the best. No fills, slippage, WL is faster and more significant, etc.

Good luck in your journey.

Teresa

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

pitablond
on 11/5/08 11:44 pm - Harrisburg, PA
The last time I checked my weight I was about 300lbs. If I go by my ideal weight, it's probably 115lbs to lose and if I go by the medical books then it would be 150lbs to lose.   I can't imagine looking right at 150lbs but whatever!
EileenWalton
on 11/5/08 11:47 pm

RNY was an easy decision for me.  I was a heavy weight (not sure what your starting weight is) and Dr. Boe really thought I would be more successful with the RNY.  Since he was the expert I took his advice and have never regretted my decision.  You've already made hardest decision (to have WLS), now the choice is up to you.  There are other alternatives (Duodenal Switch and the Verticle Sleeve), so be sure to look into them, as well.  Good luck, and be sure to keep us posted.

Eileen

IdaMae D.
on 11/5/08 11:54 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Ashley,
I have my first appointment on the 11th to discuss with my surgeon what proceedure I want. My PCP is leaning towards Lap-Band, I would prefer the RNY. My reasoning is that research on the RNY is showing that by bypassing the duedenum (sp) it puts diabetes II into remission which is what I want. I also do not want a foreign object in my body nor do I want a port that requires injections.
My husband had RNY almost 3 yrs ago and his results are amazing, he's off all the medications he was pre-surgery that is what I want. I want to be healthy and medication free.
Best of luck with your research
Ida

IdaMae

victoria3
on 11/6/08 12:36 am - Douglassville, PA
Would you consider a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG)?  No malabsortion, no slippage...look into it, after doing the research, it was the right decision for me.

Marlo71
on 11/6/08 1:56 am - Harrisburg, PA
Hello!  I'm from Harrisburg as well!  Which Dr. are you going to?  I remember switching to my Capital Blue Cross PPO because it covered everything and it sure did!  I have only paid $200 for the Surgery!  But for ME personally RNY was the best decision.  I knew a close personal friend who had several slippage problems with her band and she still hasnt lost much wieght from what I can tell.  I know the band takes a little longer and you have to always get fills.  I also saw the little model of the band in my Dr's office and thought ...do I want that thing inside me?   But there are so many other options out there now.  I would research everything and make sure your DR is very good at whichever surgery you pick.  I go to The Weight Loss Clinic and they are a Center of Excellence for Blue Cross so I knew they were good.  I am 2 months out and it has been great!!! 

Good luck with your decision!!  It sure is fun!   haha

-Marlo 

pitablond
on 11/6/08 2:20 am - Harrisburg, PA
Hey Marlo!  We talked back in June...I had blonde hair then!  Ha!  I'm hoping to see DiMarco or Currie.  I have heard wonderful things about them both.  Will you be at the support group on Monday?
Marlo71
on 11/6/08 4:52 am - Harrisburg, PA
HI!  You know I had to go check your profile, because I thought we had talked before!  I Love the new hair color!   Yes, I should be at the meeting on Monday!  Would love to meet you!  I've heard good things about all the Dr.'s too.  I had Dr. Davidson, and he was really good, and he comes to most of the support groups too!  OK Hope to see you Monday! 

-Marlo 

dit657
on 11/6/08 1:58 am - Boothwyn, PA
It sounds like you've started doing some research already, and that's wonderful - only you can decide which WLS is right for you and your body - research all of them - and the facilities where you think you'll have them done, and the surgeon.

For me my journey began on line researching mostly lap band and RNY - I had a friend who had the lapband and she did okay but not great - I was concerned because you can push the band and eat like you shouldn't and things you shouldn't. Knowing myself and my history I was afraid of that option. When I went for my initial consult at Barix, tho, I found out that due to my high BMI lapband was not an option for me at that facility, and I really wanted Barix for my surgery, so it only reinforced my decision to go with the RNY.

There are other boards out here for lapband, DS, and VSG and maybe those people can give you input as well, but in the end the ultimate decision will be yours.

I wish you all the best with whatever you choose - we're all here for you!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views