Hypoglycemia?? I guess so!

Mary Benford
on 11/5/08 9:37 pm - Emmaus, PA
So for the past few months I've been having these crazy episodes....    In the morning, I'll wake up, exercise, have coffee, wake norm up, have breakfast, then start getting ready for work.   Well, while getting ready, I'll all of a sudden feel a super hot burn on my lower back...   then get sweaty, extremely shakey, dizzy, and disoriented.

It's scary when it happens, and I had no idea what was causing it...   all I knew was when I felt it coming on, I had to make my way to the fridge, which involved walking down the stairs, (which wasn't easy...) and grabbing a juicy juice box and chugging it to make that feeling go away.   It's an absolutely awful horrible feeling... and this was happening about 4-5 times a week!

At the meeting on Saturday, I struck up a conversation with Shauna after listening to her talking to someone else about her sugar dropping while she's running...   and a lot of what she was saying really hit home.  I did some research, and that's what it appears to be...    hypoglycemia. 

Symptoms of hypoglycemia include

• hunger
  • nervousness and shakiness
  • perspiration 
  • dizziness or light-headedness
  • sleepiness
  • confusion
  • difficulty speaking
  • feeling anxious or weak

Hypoglycemia can also happen while you are sleeping. You might

• cry out or have nightmares
  • find that your pajamas or sheets are damp from perspiration
  • feel tired, irritable, or confused when you wake up
  -   It describes my "episodes" to a T!  -

Exercise can also cause hypoglycemia.

Severe hypoglycemia can cause you to lose consciousness. In these extreme cases when you lose consciousness and cannot eat, glucagon can be injected to quickly raise your blood glucose level. Ask your health care provider if having a glucagon kit at home and at work is appropriate for you. This is particularly important if you have type 1 diabetes. Your family, friends, and co-workers will need to be taught how to give you a glucagon injection in an emergency.

Prevention of hypoglycemia while you are driving a vehicle is especially important. Checking blood glucose frequently and snacking as needed to keep your blood glucose above 70 mg/dL will help prevent accidents. (Not too convenient considering I don't snack!)

The treatments for hypoglycemia aren't too "GBS" friendly either...   It involves getting sugar into your bloodstream the quickest way possible.

TREATMENTS:

Have one of these "quick fix" foods right away to raise your blood glucose:

• 2 or 3 glucose tablets
  • 1/2 cup (4 ounces) of any fruit juice
  • 1/2 cup (4 ounces) of a regular (not diet) soft drink
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) of milk
  • 5 or 6 pieces of hard candy
  • 1 or 2 teaspoons of sugar or honey

Looks like I'll be sticking to fruit juice, or skim milk!  The other options would put me straight into DUMP city!!!!

Anyway...    This is what I've got...   At least now I know!!!!

Success is a journey... not a destination!     

Liz R.
on 11/5/08 9:46 pm - Easton, PA
Mary - Glad that you figured it out - I too have this and Reactive Hypoglycemia - if I eat too many "refined" carbs about 2 hours later I plummet.

Things I have found that help

Carbs - a slice of bread with peanut butter
orange juice
other 1--% fruit juices

once you know what it is it is easier to catch it in the VERY early stages and fend it off.

Best of luck!

Liz
Laureen S.
on 11/5/08 10:20 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
I've had this happen to me too, we were discussing it over lunch before the meeting on Saturday.  It does not happen to me often, but it's pretty scary when it does and I had it prior to WLS surgery too, so I guess it's a good thing to know we are not alone within this, but I've heard of this "reactive hypoglecemia" as being something people with gastric bypass sometimes experience. 

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

IdaMae D.
on 11/5/08 11:37 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Mary,
Gene has had a lot of trouble with this as well. We've found in addition to him drinking 8 oz of skim milk a 1/2 banana also works. Just a thought if banana's are something you can eat.
Ida

IdaMae

EileenWalton
on 11/6/08 12:00 am
My sister is hypoglycemic and always has a fresh piece of fruit with her.  Please be careful because it can hit quickly and can be very dangerous.  A few years ago my sister was in a serious car accident because her blood sugar dropped so quickly.  She hit another car and very seriously injured the driver of that car.  Try to get into the habit of packing an apple, banana, or orange so it will always be handy in case you need it.  Take care, Mary.  We don't want anything to happen to our bride-to-be!
Eileen

(deactivated member)
on 11/6/08 2:50 am
Yep, reactive hypoglycemia is very commom for post ops that are out about a year and longer.  I went through a very bad period of it and then it seemed to go away for a while.  I do get it, but not nearly as often as I had been. 

HG
amy C.
on 11/6/08 3:01 am
Also for those times when it appears your sugar is dropping but you are not aware enough to eat you can have family and friends help you even if you dont have glucagon.. If you are able to sit up and talk, even if your confused ( being able to protect your airway is what we aer looking for here)  you can have them squeeze  cake decorating icing between your cheek and tongue ( the kind in a tube) for a real quick fix. we carry oral glucose on the ambulance and cake decorating icing has similar effects but tastes a lot better.  Now if someone is partially unconscious and/or cant swallow effectively you should not put anything in their mouth just call 911 or use the glucagon if you have it. otherwise You run the risk of them choking .     Hey buy a tube and throw it in your car, your purse or where ever. Now after this (or any quick fix) and you"come around" you need to eat a meal with some protein and some carbs or your bloodsugar is going to drop lower than before.  Please be careful and if anyone has any doubts please contact emergency services.  

Amy
Sarah G.
on 11/6/08 7:35 am - PA
WOW Mary...
This has been happening to me now for months! The first time it happened, it scared the **** right out of me. I had no idea what was happening..and my family almost forced me to go to the ER. It took about an hour to stop. After it was over, I got this insane feeling or need to eat something. When I did, I felt better. It was really odd. I figured I had dumped really bad or something. I have the exact same things happen that you describe. At least I know now whats going on and what to do. Thank you so much for posting this Mary.
Nicole0216
on 11/6/08 7:46 am - Lancaster, PA
I have had it happen a few times. I tend to get it when I have been eating too many refined carbs like white stuff. My sugar goes up and then bottoms out. It is scary. 
Pam Hart
on 11/6/08 9:21 am - Easton, PA
Everyone has pretty much summed it up.

Reactive hypoglycemia is something that is being more and more related to gastric bypass patients a year or more out.

The carb thing plays a big part in it for us.

I might suggest having something like a small amount of fruit juice and a cheesestick before working out - if you can do that without getting up to early.  And then make sure your breakfast is highest in protein and low on carbs, especially refined carbs like bread etc.

I sure do hope you feel better!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views