Good News!

shoutjoy
on 11/5/08 6:39 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi everyone!

I wonderful opportunity dropped in my lap from a simple email I sent to our one and only hospital in our tiny town.  I sent it through their contact form on their website.  I asked them if they had support groups for wls patients, if they were interested in starting one, etc.  Well, it looks like one of the Hospital Authority workers recently had wls and was also intersted in a support group.  Well, on December 2 at 2pm I am going to meet with about five hospital officials regarding getting a support group started!  What is so cool about this is that everyone in my area has to travel to have surgery.  This hospital is not equiped to do wls!  So!  I am flooded with good resources and handouts and all kinds of stuff just sizzzling to be used and finally, I may have my chance!  I want so much to learn more!   Like, about eating disorders, food addictions, life coaching and the list goes on and on!  Who knows, this may turn into an employment opportunity of some kind.  I am in the career change journey so this could turn into something greater.  I can only hope.  Now I need to figure out what exactly to present.  They tell me I can use power point presentations in the conference room.  Any suggestions please!  So excited!

Paula
rita61677
on 11/5/08 6:51 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Thats awesome. I know they can use it up there. My husband is from Roulette. Best of luck to you!!!
Laureen S.
on 11/5/08 10:34 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

Paula,

That's great news!  Not sure about the power point presentation, but I have two suggestions, go in there from a place of personal experience, that always works well and did you know that OH offers training on how to be a certified Group Leader.  I myself will be signing up to take that, I believe it is an online training seminar.

Best wishes, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

shoutjoy
on 11/5/08 11:05 pm - Culpeper, VA
Yes I have been through the training, but this isn't a support group.  This will be.....yea an educational, wls awareness "workshop". Hmmmmmm thanks!  You gave me a brain fart!

paula
Pam Hart
on 11/6/08 9:31 am - Easton, PA
Paula,

That is AWESOME and good for you for taking that step!!  I know it has been a challenge for you in regards of support. 

Even if the job employment potential doesn't work out...you will be helping to provide a service much needed in that area.

Definately take it from a personal perspective...use this website as referance for the amount of support people need and utilize every day.  You could also talk about the mental aspect....how it is not just a physical problem with us - we didn't gain weight just because we ate - the more important question is why did we eat...and how this surgery does not fix what is between our ears....and that it continues to be a life long struggle and need to make the right food choices.

Many people are very uneducated in wls and think "you can eat anything and the weight just comes off"  They don't know about dumping..they don't know that excess calories can eventually lead to regain etc....they don't know we are instructed to follow an exercise program for life.  They just don't know sooooo much.

I'm no good at power point....but wish you the best of luck!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
shoutjoy
on 11/6/08 9:51 am - Culpeper, VA
Thank you all for your encouragement!

Paula
Nicole0216
on 11/6/08 11:41 am - Lancaster, PA
that is great news
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!