trying not to gag..

KellyD85
on 11/5/08 7:50 am - Riverside, PA
I am soon officially starting my 2 wk liquid protein phase before surgery.  I am having a real hard time with the protein shakes.  I have tried only two kinds-both chocolate--the whey kind from Wal-mart and the whey-bolic 60 (60g in 12oz water) from GNC.

Money is very tight, so I don't want to spend money on such big containers if I end up not liking them. I hear that my taste may change after surgery anyway. 

I have tried grape Isopure.  It was ok-didn't like the pastey film on my teeth and mouth in general. I have not purchased any SF syrups yet.

What are your favorites? Any helpful hints to get these drinks down? The GNC drinks have a full day's amount of protein that I would do in 2 6 oz drinks.  Expensive!! $4 for one drink although they sell the big containers for $56-59. If I could keep them down-it would be worth the cost to have to drink less in volume.

HW/SW/CW/GW
303/275/199.4/150    ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!      

Shannon O.
on 11/5/08 8:41 am - Reading, PA
GNC sells smaller bags of protein powder for 15 bucks... might be cheaper... but they are in red and black bags... it is a lot cheaper to make your own protein drinks than to buy them... when I did my 2 week liquid diet before surgery I drank lots of chicken noodle soup broth... gave my daughter the noodles and meat I drank the broth... so that is another idea for ya...

Nicole0216
on 11/5/08 8:47 am - Lancaster, PA
the only shake i liked was

SF carnation instant breakfast
mixed with skim milk
and a scoop of unflavored designer whey protein powder
J. M.
on 11/5/08 9:07 am
yum...been drinking em for over a year....

http://www.allthewhey.com/wpibvp.html

good with soy milk too

~ Jen   

Mary Benford
on 11/5/08 7:43 pm - Emmaus, PA
Also my fav.     The girl that runs this website is actually a friend of mine :)

They're so delish.

Success is a journey... not a destination!     

Pam Hart
on 11/5/08 10:04 am - Easton, PA
GNC normally has a policy that if you try something and don't like it you can bring it back.

I personally LOVED unjury chicken broth.  A little pricey - but it wasn't like drinking a protein shake.

I also used:

Nectar cappuchino + 1 cup skim plus milk + 1 envelope no sugar added chocolate carnation instant breakfast.  I found I could blend it with ice for an "iced mocha cappuchino" flavor or make it luke warm for an evening hot chocolate cappuchino (hint - NO protein powders can be heated very high...it needs to be just warmed...otherwise it clumps...)

As far as price...if it gets your protein in for a day and works out to be $4 like you said...$4 a day is probably far less than what you are spending daily for meals now.  It just seems like a lot because you have to pay for the big jugs all at one time.

Also....many GNCs will give out samples (so I have heard)

Also...allthewhey which Jen mentioned used to have a sample package...it was something like 7 individual servings for $9 so you could taste them before you bought a larger container of it.

Good luck.  I took norm's approach, especially on days when I felt like I couldn't get it down.  I didn't view it as something I needed to like.  I viewed it as medicine that HAD to be taken.  Granted....not a fun way to spend 2 weeks....but you do what you need to do.

Keep experimenting....

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
cleos_mom
on 11/5/08 12:50 pm - phila., PA
Hi
GNC will take back any protein that you don't like if you have the receipt.
they have a protein powder called MAX PROTEIN that is great the chocolate tastes like yoo hoo
they don't sell it online or at every GNC store only the franchise stores, so call & ask them
Susan
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/08 1:03 pm
If you can, mix them with milk rather than water....just the thought of water mixed with protein powder makes me gag!  I really like the Nectar products. 
jburgh
on 11/5/08 10:44 pm
I do the nectar fruit powder line....
http://www.si03.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=23

The cherry and strawberry kiwi are the best flavors,  I get them from a place here in pittsburgh and they cost about $25-$27 a tub...they last me a month, so I pay $50 to $60 dollars for two, but you figure that's about a $1 a day.  I take one scoop in the morn with water and one before bed with a glass of water.  They taste like koolaid. 

EileenWalton
on 11/5/08 11:23 pm
The only protein I liked was Unjury Chocolate and Unjury Protein Chicken Soup.  I thought the chicken broth tasted just like Lipton's.  Anyway, you can only purchase Unjury on-line at www.unjury.com.  It costs 21.00 + S&H and makes 17 8-ounce shakes.  You can also purchase some samples.  Good luck!
Eileen

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views