I got a job at Macy's!!!

bubble273
on 11/3/08 7:43 am, edited 11/3/08 8:20 am - Levittown, PA
This is pretty funny for me, since I have a full-time job and really shouldn't have to work anywhere else, but times are tough and I need extra money.  Funny thing is that I always hated Macy's...thought it was too uppety and too expensive for me.  But I have found out recently that they offer some pretty good deals.

So I was just looking in the paper today and saw an ad that Macy's was hiring.  I got a shower and got all pretty and went over there and filled out an application.  Then talked to one girl and then the manager of the Better Sportswear & Juniors section.  After talking with the manager she said I would like to offer you the position of a sales associate.  I was like, huh??  I don't have any experience in retail...I've been a pizza cook and a court reporter!!!  So not even much work experience except for my profession. 

My dad said to me, do you think a year ago they would have hired you??  I said probably not.  But a year ago I would have never even attempted to do something like this, because I couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes at a time.  So I'm proud of myself for going and taking the initiative and knowing that I can do this type of work now.  It's only $7.50 an hour.  But if I worked 15 to 20 hours, I could bring home like $400 a month.  So that will work for me.

So if anyone will be shopping at Macy's this holiday season, the one in the Oxford Valley Mall, come check me out on the weekends and maybe a night during the week in the Better Sportswear and Juniors section....LOL!!!

Karen

Melanie B.
on 11/3/08 8:00 am - Doylestown, PA
Congrats! i wish I had the energy for a 2nd job, cuz lord knows I could use the money. However knowing me I'd spend it all on stuff at Macy's.

sbrunell
on 11/3/08 8:32 am - Bensalem, PA
Does this mean we can abuse your employee discount....and do they sell Lucky Jeans?
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Pam Hart
on 11/3/08 8:35 am - Easton, PA
AWESOME Karen!

Hey....employee discount maybe??

Good for you for doing that! 

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
New_Beginnings_36
on 11/3/08 12:28 pm - PA
Awesome Karen...Congrats! 

<3 Stefanie    

way-of-life.gif image by SissyLalaSamantha
Liz R.
on 11/3/08 7:50 pm - Easton, PA
Congrats Karen! I had a fleeting moment where I thought about getting a part time job - then I remembered that I have 45-50 hours during the week to look forward to and well would probably spend all the money I made working at Kohls - well at Kohls! lol
dit657
on 11/3/08 8:39 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Congratulations first for having the courage to get all dolled up and put yourself out there!! And I bet it felt even better than actually getting the job! Man, those employee discounts will come in handy for your new wardrobe and the holidays, too - so relax and enjoy - I hope it works out for you.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
(deactivated member)
on 11/3/08 9:09 pm
Good for you Karen!!!  I have also thought about getting a part time job, but between two nights of karate, a night of pottery and already working late on Thursdays and allergy shots one afternoon a week...there isn't any time!  My weekends are spent getting the house ready to sell once the market goest back up.  I keep telling the dogs they need to go get jobs to pay for their rawhide and bone habits (they need some serious rehab!), but they havent found anything yet. 

Have fun with the job!

HG
tammypa
on 11/3/08 9:33 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Karen,
I was cracking up reading ur post because I remember your thoughts on Macys.
I always thought that same thing - a little too snobby for me.
Then I got some good deals and they turned me around.
But anyway - congratulations! That is amazing how you landed that job so quickly.
See all that new found confidence is showing! You go girl!
Tammy
(deactivated member)
on 11/3/08 9:43 pm
Karen

I am so happy for you! That had to be such a great feeling to land the job right on the spot. Good for you and the confidence to stick your neck out there.

I understand the working of two jobs that is pretty much whyI dj for the extra money to do the extras and in this current stte of things it has been goiing towards every day life.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views