1st Halloween post-op

Shan08
on 11/2/08 11:29 pm - the Skook, PA
I have to admit this in writing... I have been weak and full of anxiety about my lack of will power.  Halloween has been awful... the days leading up to Friday were bad.  I have no support at work... and let's just say there was junk EVERYWHERE.  People were bring in stuff, people ordered out all the time.  Halloween itself was awful... couldnt take Halloween away from my little ones so w proceeded to walk the town getting three bags full of junk/sweets.  So it's in my house, it's here at work... I have been PATHETIC and weak.  I feel like a junkie who has relapsed.  What if I screw up this 2nd chance at life???  I cannot fathom going through this surgery for nothing.  Yet how can I cave so easily? 

Ok well, thanks for listening to me vent.

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
(deactivated member)
on 11/2/08 11:39 pm - Eastern, PA
Unfortunately, these situations are never going to go away.

Just like everybody else, you got to a point in your life where had to exercise the "nuclear" option. You drew your line in the sand and decided to turn things around.

Now, you need to stick to that, and hold yourself accountable for your actions.

It will not be easy now, and it doesn't get easier.

We share your struggles, but there is no magic way to make those cravings go away.

I suggest getting rid of as much candy as you can without your children rioting on you. And keep healthy snacks in the house and in your desk that you can have when the crave wave comes crashing down on you.

Melanie B.
on 11/3/08 12:08 am - Doylestown, PA
I'm sorry you are having such a tough time Shannon.

did you indulge or are you just mentaly tortured by it all?

for me thankfully, all desire for food has been lifted (although I'm sure it will return) however there were times in the past few days I would have loved to have dove into the candy bowl (in my head)

Have you considered therapy to deal with your food issues?

dit657
on 11/3/08 12:27 am - Boothwyn, PA
Hi Shannon - deep breath...now, are you eating these things or are they just torturing you by being around? You're only about 2 months out - at that stage I couldn't even think about eating stuff like candy and junk - I was barely eating at all, and definitely didn't have a hunger for it, especially candy.

Head hunger is a very dangerous and very real thing - and it sucks! But you are going to be successful at your RNY - you're not going to fail, and just because you're being challenged right now doesn't mean you can't overcome it. And this is just the beginning of the dreaded foodie season - the holidays. So use this situation now to prepare yourself on how to deal with all the other upcoming food days so when they do arrive you are mentally prepared to deal with them.

You can do this - like Norm said - you drew the line in the sand - now stand by it.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Shan08
on 11/3/08 12:32 am - the Skook, PA
Yep I have indulged... did not get sick.  I have gotten rid of a ton though... which definitely helps.  (I love your pic btw Norm :o) )  And yes, I have been addressing food issues in counseling since pre-op.  Lucky me ;o) 

Anyway, luckily it hasnt gone on long (this sweets-torture), and I don't think I did much damage.  Just gotta snap the hell out of it and get back on track!!! 

Did get a nice comment today which helps... co-worker told me my clothes are getting super droopy on me and it might be time for me to go shopping (I have mostly resisted this up to now, since I was afraid of regaining and wasting money like I did in the past), LOL.

These type of comments and support go a hell of a lot  further than that momentary feeling of "YUMMM" when I taste chocolate.  And I'm the one that has to get that in my effin head!!!  (trying to pep talk myself, lol)

Thanks guys...
Shannon
tanya72100
on 11/3/08 2:02 am - Schuylkill Haven, PA
I was just talking about this with Tracy. I ate a bite of a twizzler. Did not get sick but didnt get anything out of it.

I fear chocolate and will not even go near it. Im sure we all have issues over something or other.

I have to admit though. twizzlers and slim jims are the only thing i miss.. and now that i know i dont need them to live i realize how it was a mental thing.

Im sure it will get better soon!

Nicole0216
on 11/3/08 2:20 am - Lancaster, PA
This is the main reason I made a pact with myself not to ever eat sugar after surgery. I did not want to test my limits. Halloween was not easy but it makes it easier knowing that you dont have to choose because you made the choice a long time ago.

You can get through this. You arent pathetic at all. But having strong rules in place can help you when you deal with these types of situations/
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views