A Plateau at 6 weeks Post Op??????

amy M.
on 11/2/08 8:18 am - PA
I have been the same weight for 6 days.  I'm 6 weeks post op RNY.  I eat well, get all my protein in, and two weeks ago I began to powerwalk about 4 days a week.  Is this normal?  I know that I will hit a plateau but I am shocked to hit it at 6 weeks post op.  Any advice anyone??!!! 

Thanks.  Amy

Laureen S.
on 11/2/08 8:38 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Amy,

Yes, it is not uncommon to stall as early as 6 weeks post-op.  Think of it as our bodies reacting in outrage at the audacity of us to make it lose weight. . .  it's not liking your objective right now and there will be other times as well.  That is why, if you have not begun to do so yet, take your measurements once a month, and a photo, as oftentimes I found they were moving in a downward direction while the scale stood still, or heavens to betsy, moved in the totally wrong direction, when there was no way that was possible, the measurements were different and pictures show the story as well. . .  Another thing, though you are early out and probably are not eating lots of foods yet, so keep in mind for later stalls, change up what you eat, the kind of exercise you do, as it will help get the scale moving again.  I've been there with some really long stalls, so long as you follow the rules, protein, exercise, 64 ounces of decafinated fluids a day and your vitamin supplements, things will get moving again.

Best wishes, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Gail M.
on 11/2/08 9:27 am - Scranton, PA
Amy,
   I had a stall @ 6 wks also.  It lasted for about 1-2 weeks.  I'm currently in a stall again at 6 months.  It's hard not to get discouraged during these times but your weight loss will pick up again.
Gail

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/08 10:28 am
It's normal.  I stalled at 12 days out.  I would stall, then lose, stall, then lose.  You body is just catching up with all the changes.  Keep track of your measurements.  When you are not losing weight, then you are typically losing inches.

Keep up the great work!

Heather G
amy M.
on 11/2/08 7:56 pm - PA
Thank you to all who have replied.  Your advice and personal experiences are so helpful.
rdy2looz
on 11/3/08 7:33 am - Bensalem, PA
I was about to ask the same question.  I have been at a stall myself and I am also out 6 weeks.  I've been eating right, drinking and exercising.  Really driving me crazy!  i didn't think I would hit a stall this early out.  Glad to know from all the posts that this is somewhat normal.  Thanks!!

Suzette
Melanie B.
on 11/3/08 8:03 am - Doylestown, PA
I stall about every 2 weeks and then I'll lose 2lbs and then stall again and then lose 7lbs. There's no method to the madness for me. I even gained a pound one week and trust me it's not becasue I'm over eatting.

I'm 10 weeks out and down 47lbs and prior to surgery that was unimagineable.

So while stalls can be frustrating, I've just learned to ignore them.

Pam Hart
on 11/3/08 8:34 am - Easton, PA
Yup yup yup.  Your body is just realizing "hey - I am not getting the amount of food and calories I used to...I must be in a starving crisis...better hold onto what I got"

Just keep following the program - and throw the scale away.  It can frustrate you more than anything.  I know - I had to have hubby "kidnap" my scale from me at one point because I was becoming neurotic about it.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views