STALL - A VERY LONG ONE

Gail M.
on 11/1/08 2:57 pm - Scranton, PA
   Can someone please explain what they know about stalls?  I'm six months out and down about 100 pounds.  I'm happy with the weight that I lost but I still would like to lose about 50 more.  I haven't lost any in about 3.5 weeks and in the couple of weeks previous, I only lost 2 pounds.
    I saw Dr. P and the nutritionist on 10/14.  I increased my protein intake to about 90 g per day and I also go to the Y daily to do 30 minutes of cardio.  I also take a pilates class 2x/week.
    I would feel dissapointed if I didn't lose more weight.  Can you tell me if the weight loss can just stop completely?  I think I'm doing everything that I can. Am I going to lose more?
    Thanks for any knowledge you can provide!
Gail

Pam Hart
on 11/1/08 8:02 pm - Easton, PA
Yes gail...you will lose more weight.  Take a deep breath.  6 mos seems to be a killer for a lot of people.  I think it was Laureen who was in a stall for about 6 weeks or more (correct me if I'm wrong here Laureen)

They suck.

Be careful with upping your protein to to much...that eventually just adds extra calories.

Change up your routine in eating and exercise.  You need to keep your body on it toes.  For example...if you normally have your protein from mostly dairy - start changing a few items to meat based products...on that same level if chicken is a big staple in your diet - make sure you change it to beef or whatever.  The body gets very used to the same stuff over and over again and learns how to utilize what you are giving it (and what you are taking out with exercise) to hold onto things.

Also...I don't know what kind of cardio you are doing.  If you normally do the elliptical for example - get on the treadmill a day or two.  Or do 15 minutes of each etc etc.

And sometimes...the stalls just stick around for a very long time just to **** you off.  Understand your tool will continue to work years down the road - let alone at 6 mos.  You'll get there - just keep doing what you need to do!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Gail M.
on 11/2/08 4:54 am - Scranton, PA
Pam,
   My menu does include the same things daily.  Protein drink in am, yogurt for lunch, cheese as a snack, and dinner is chicken.  I'm going to try to switch it up.  But this stuff sits so nicely in my pouch and it's very easy to get into this daily grind.
   Thank you so much for the advise.  I'm going to switch to fish and beef for a little bit and see if it helps.
Gail

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 11/1/08 10:54 pm
I've been saying this for 2 years.  Your body locks in calories and repetative foods cycles and won't give in.  Constantly change up your food and your routine, if you are still stalled out, don't let your carbs exceed your fat intake for the day.  Next change will be to track calories, do 2 days at 700 calories, 2 days at 1000 calories and 2 days at 1300 calories, repeat this cycle, by the time your body figures out what your doing you will be at a different calorie level and your body will give way to the change.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Gail M.
on 11/2/08 4:57 am - Scranton, PA
Thanks Nan.  I do use fitday and I usually don't even take note of anything expect my protein.  I'm going to take note of my calories and fat intake.  I also possitively have to switch up my menu.  I eat the same things daily...protein drink, yogurt, cheese, chicken.  I'm going to try more fish, tuna and beans.
Gail

Laureen S.
on 11/2/08 1:04 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Hi Gail,

Pam is right, throughout my journey I have had several stalls that lasted very long periods, one was right around the 6 month mark and that one lasted around 6 weeks, no matter what I seemed to do the scale stayed stuck, however, the measurements changed and eventually the stall broke and I lost more weight.  It is absolutely frustrating when you know you are doing what you need to be doing and the scale does not move.

Nan has continued to lose weight over 2 years post-op and she is not alone, what she advocates in the way of changing things up, usually does the trick.  You will have stalls on this journey it is inevitable that our bodies resist what we are doing to them, so we have to trick them into submission.

My most recent stall lasted 11 weeks and happened between 9 and 12 months, but when it broke, I dropped 10 more pounds.  The weight loss begins to slow up for many after 6 months, mostly after 9 and it does not mean you are done, so long as you follow the rules of the pouch, as well as incorporating changes in what you eat and how you move.  For instance, change up the cardio to include eliptical, row machine, bike and/or increase time spent.  If you are using the treadmill, then use one of those programs such as hills and 5k and if you are walking say at 3.0, ramp it up to 3.8 to 4.0 at different times during your workout.

You've done fabulously, so don't down what you've accomplished so far.

Best wishes on your continued "successing", Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Gail M.
on 11/2/08 5:03 am - Scranton, PA
Laureen,
   I have been nervous thinking that this is it.  My sister keeps telling me that you only lose 30% of your body weight and that's it.  Well I'm at 30% and I do not want it to stop.  I would like to lose at least 50 more, maybe even 60.
   I do the exact thing everyday.  I eat the same thing, I even use the same machine at the Y daily.  I'm going to switch it up.  I may even try a new type of cardio class at the Y.  I'm sure I won't be able to keep up with it but at least I will try.    I started Pilates and I really like it but I take it slow. 
  Thank you for responding and you keep up the great work too!
Gail

Laureen S.
on 11/2/08 6:00 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Gail,

I'm not sure where your sister got her information, but I believe Dr. P tells us that the weight loss is anywhere from 50 to 75-80% of your body weight; at my one year post-op visit with Dr. P on Friday, I was at 61%.  Would I like to lose more, you betcha!  Have I given up?  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  I spoke with the NUT about it and she said that at 1000 calories a day and with my activity level, I should continue to lose at the rate of .5 to 1 lb. a week.  My goal is to reach 150 lbs. and when I arrive there to re-evaluate.  Dr. P, back at my 9 month exam, had told me that I was not going to be, nor should I expect to achieve what those charts say, and I have no desire to be in that range as I believe that would be an unhealthy look for me.  I am wearing size 12s, I'd like to be an 8/10 and I believe I will get there.

Your 2nd paragraph says a lot and your changing things up will help you along.  It does not matter if you can keep up in the class or not, all you need to do is give it your best effort and over time I'll bet you surprise yourself.  It will be so worth it and I'm sure you will get where you aspire to.

Please try to make it to next month's 1st Saturday support group, I think you will find it beneficial, even if you can't make the whole thing, it will still be of help.

Take care, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

dit657
on 11/2/08 1:48 am - Boothwyn, PA
Hi Gail - I can totally relate to your stall right now - I'm almost 9 months out and have been in my first major stall for almost a month now, and its so frustrating - I also want to lose about 60 more lbs and keep thinking 'oh god, please don't let the losses be over'. I went to the Barix meeting yesterday and got a lot of good advice on how to break the stall - now I'll have to put that advice into motion. But a lot of other people also said they had stalls that lasted anywhere from 3 weeks to 11 weeks at this point in their journey, so that was a little encouraging.

I guess our bodies are just catching up with all the weight we've lost and will lose more, but we have to give it some time and make some adjustments to food and exercise. I know I get into a huge food rut and that's not good. And evercise as well...so we'll work thru this together.

Hang in there - we'll get there!!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Gail M.
on 11/2/08 5:06 am - Scranton, PA
Kathy,
   I hope that I can make next month's Saturday class.  My sister keeps telling me that I lost every thing I'm going to because she read an article on the surgery!!!  Well I would like to lose about 50-60 more.
   Also,  my stomach is still large and hard.  When I try on pants, the legs and back area are loose, but this darn stomach......it just jets right out.
   Oh so frustrating.  Thanks for the encouragement.
Gail

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views