Shopping at Aldi

Shannon O.
on 11/1/08 1:02 pm - Reading, PA
Well, I have been trying really hard to figure out a way to lower our grocery bill... I use a ton of coupons and what not but they didn't seem to really help... I buy a lot of store brands (which are made by the name brand companies) etc... we do shop at Amelias but it isn't really close to me... plus it i**** or miss a lot of times...

well after watching the TLC show about the family with 17 kids and seeing now nice and clean the Aldi was that they went to... I decided to check them out again... in college the one in town was well gross... but the one by me (a mile away if that) was so nice... super clean and bright... they have sugar free yogurts and ice cream bars... they also have fresh fruits and veggies... but also some nice frozen ones as well... their milk is also 20 cents cheaper than Giant and Redners... I have now gone 2 times and everything that we have bought that is their brand has been FAB!! They also have lots of things like ground beef, frozen chicken (like the bags of frozen tyson chicken breast) etc... so I thought that I would pass on the info... oh yeah they do have some name brand things there... but they don't take coupons... and they are cash and debit card only... also bring your own grocery store bags...

Here is their website (cut and paste it too lazy to use the html editor) http://www.aldifoods.com

FlourPower
on 11/1/08 1:26 pm - PA
I shop at Aldi too.  I do find some good prices there.  I don't think I've ever bought something that my family didn't like.  With the five boys I stuggle to keep our grocery bill low.  We have a place in Middletown called SharpShopper and I go there too.  They are even cheaper then Aldi.  They are sort of like Ameliea**** and miss.  I really don't like Amelias (ours is messy) but they do have good prices on their Pepridge Farms Breads, $1.19 a loaf and they boys really like their whole grains breads. 

Our Aldi's has their ground turkey for $1.19 per pounds.  It's in the frozen food section.  I believe it's 85% lean.  It's good.  Do you have a Karns in your area?  We have them here and they always have good deals on chicken.  Right now they have their chicken breasts on sale for only 79 cents per pounds.  You can't beat that.

See ya,

Chrissy

[

Shannon O.
on 11/2/08 6:38 am - Reading, PA
Well, I don't have a karns near me... and the Sharp Shopper is about 35 mins away from me so not sure if that one is worth the drive to ephrata hehehe... but I hadn't heard of either store before... but from the websites they look nice...

If you have a big freezer it might be worth the trip to Reading to the VF Outlet to the Peppridge Farm store... stock up and freeze the stuff hehehe... if you do ever come it is in the bottom of the Blue building...

Pam Hart
on 11/1/08 8:04 pm - Easton, PA
Thanks for the info, Shannon.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 11/2/08 8:35 pm - Easton, PA
Pam - There is an Aldi over on 25th street in Easton (You'll have to find 25th street - thats where all the good stuff is! lol - down college hill into easton, 22 west and it is 1 or 2 exits) It is a bit creepy - I am usually the only non-hispanic person in there and it is a bit dark and dreary but I go there and Giant and usually make out pretty good. Chris LOVES their brand of beef jerkey.

Liz
Happy to be in
Onederland

on 11/1/08 11:03 pm
I know what you mean, the Redners in Langhorne looks like a sloppy dirty oversized 7-11 compared to the clean one in Doylestown.  The food basics in Northeast Philly is dirty compared to the one in Somerton.  The Genuardi's on Main Street in Jeffersonville looks like it should be condemned compared to the one on 202 in KOP.  Each stores manager either cares or doesn't about the appearance of their store.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Shannon O.
on 11/2/08 6:41 am - Reading, PA
never understood why some stores are so dirty and others aren't... drives me nuts...

All I know is that next summer I will have a brand new Giant by me... and I think think summer is also the opening of the new super wal-mart in exeter... so I'm excited about that... but I just couldn't get over how clean this store was... you could of eaten off the floor lol...

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/08 6:56 am
I havent tried Aldi yet, but I love Amelia's.  Also,  a lot of dollar stores have food sections.  I try to hit there first to see what I can get and then go to the grocery store.  There is also a store up in Morgantown....at the morgantown mall i think...that is like Amelia's.  I still have to make the trip up there to check it out, but my mom loves it.

HG
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views