Long QT Syndrome....WHAT!!!!!

prettydee7
on 10/31/08 5:37 am - Pittsburgh, PA
OK, so I went to see my PCP today for the pre surgical physical required by my hospital. Part of this physical an EKG and blood work is required, so I kindly tell him that I had both tests in September. So he tells me to get dressed and he will get that information and be back in to discuss a couple of things with me. So he comes back in and says he has a couple of issues he would like to discuss with me and a couple of things that need to be resolved before I can have my surgery.  First, I had an abnormal EKG test which shows I have Long QT Syndrome (Long QT syndrome (LQTS) is a disorder of the heart's electrical activity that may cause you to develop a sudden, uncontrollable, and dangerous heart rhythm (called an arrhythmia) in response to exercise or stress. Such abnormal heart rhythms also can develop for no known reason in people who have LQTS. Not everyone who has LQTS develops a dangerous heart rhythm, but if one does occur, it may be fatal.)

AND he tells me that my potassium is very low! So he tells me that I MUST see a Cardiologist for clearance or I will not be able to have my surgery on Nov 18th!!!! WHAT!!!!! So I just got a kick to the gut that I have a heart thing going on and Im really trying to remain calm because WHY DIDN'T MY SURGEONS OFFICE ALL ME TO TELL ME THAT!!!!! I had my EKG and chest X-ray in SEPTEMBER!!!

So I get my referral from my PCP to have a blood count and blood work and a referral for the Cardiologist.   I get to my car and call my Bariatric DR. ASAP! Of course they didnt answer and I leave a VERY professional message kindly asking them to call me TODAY! 

One thing I didnt mention was I had been calling my Dr's office for the past 2 weeks to make sure they had all of my clearances etc before they submit to the insurance co. And again, they didnt call me back.
So as Im franticlly trying to make a appt. with the Cardiologist, which I did and its scheduled for next week, I thinking to myself....Screw that, Im going to the office and I want to know why they have NOT been returning my calls and why didnt they tell me that there was an issue with my EKG so I could have handled that before my surgery!

When I get there I kindly tell them my situation and they appologize and give me a referral to see the Cardiologist and assure me everything is going to be fine.

I cant believe this, I have been reading these types of posts on the OH board and have always thanked God that was not me, and guess what! ITS ME!

But I did a little research and from what I've read the medication Im on can cause lo potassium levels which contributes to Long QT Syndrome.  Hopefully my Cardiologist will pick up on this and give me clerance for surgery. 

Oh, Jesus please let me be OK & let this all work itself out.....

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/08 9:29 am - Poconos, PA
Sorry to hear about your situation. It's bad enough when these things happen but then to have it happen so close to your surgery date certainly doesn't make it any easier I'm sure.

Try to hang in there and stay positive until you see the cardilogist and see what he has to say. Hopefully this will be an easy fix and you'll have the cardiac clearance you need and everything will move along smoothly and just as planned.

We'll all be keeping our fingers crossed and hoping that everything works out for you.
Shannon O.
on 10/31/08 10:15 am - Reading, PA
I am sure that the cardiologist will pick up on the whole med thing.. incase he doesn't... bring it up... and make sure you have that med bottle in your hand to show him you are on it... Hang in there... I'm praying for ya!

Pam Hart
on 10/31/08 10:38 am - Easton, PA
I am curious....what is "very low" potassium considered to your doctor.  Also...what med are you on?  Low potassium can have various effects on the heart.  The heart works on a potassium/sodium "channel" so when either one of those are off...then the heart can (not always) be effected.

I hope all goes well - please keep us updated!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
New_Beginnings_36
on 10/31/08 1:08 pm - PA
Try to stay positive...it will all work out in the end. Sending good vibes your way :)

<3 Stefanie    

way-of-life.gif image by SissyLalaSamantha
ellie443
on 11/3/08 10:19 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I am so sorry to hear  this.  I wish you the best of luck with getting everything straightened out so that your surgery can go on as planned

ellen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views