I'm one today!

Pam Hart
on 10/29/08 11:05 pm - Easton, PA

To all of my wonderful OH family,

First off - thank you so much for the well wishes that Laureen started in a beautiful post.  Your words are heartfelt and are very very much appreciated.

A year ago today, at about this time...I was already on my way to Barix.  I weighed 219 pounds, after losing 16 pounds on a self inflicted liquid diet.  I was a bundle of nerves and raw emotion.  I was short of breath when I walked up stairs, had severe back pain after working all night, was generally hypertensive, recently diagnosed with a thyroid disorder, didn't sleep well due to sleep apnea, and was a pre diabetic.  I couldn't run after my friend's children for long if at all and very rarely wanted to go out.  Shopping was a nightmare and although Lane Bryant was a staple for me, I would go past stores in the mall and just stare into windows, looking at tops and jeans and pants and bathing suits I so desperately wanted to wear but "would never be able to".  I did not socialize with friends all that often - and if I did - it was either at my house or their house.  Very rarely out in public, unless of course, it was to go eat.

In the past year I have lost a total of 107 pounds.  I went from a size 22/24 to a size 2/4.  I weighed 235 and now weigh anywhere between 128-133 depending on the day.  I work out after working all night.  I have energy to spare.  My back and joints do not hurt.  My fasting blood sugar is within normal.  Although a repeat sleep study was never done, a 24 hour halter monitor (cardiac) showed no reasonable sign that I had any sleep apnea (by looking at pauses, or lack there of, in my heart rate while sleeping).  I completed a 5k in July which was a feat in and of itself, and then was able to go to a party afterwards and not just collapse on the couch.  My most recent blood pressure reading was 106/60 or something like that...beats the hell out of 144/96 any day no doubt.  I can cross my legs.  I had to move the seat in my car forward to reach the steering wheel.  I don't have to worry about booths at a restaurant.  I love to go out with friends, try new things.

I do like my body - although I still struggle with body image and what I really look like.  I still don't know who people are talking about when they say "That tiny nurse over there" or "That thin girl in the pink shirt"  I get taken a back when people say "You are so tiny...you are so thin....I'm surprised how strong you are for how little you are"  Me??  I pull jeans out of the dryer and think I have shrunk them - only to find out they slide up with ease.  I look at dresses and say "oh I wish I could wear that" and then somebody (normally hubby) makes me try it on - and OMG I CAN wear that.

I believed I was confident a year ago.  Today I understand what confidence truly means.  On this year anniversary I embark on another journey.  I put in my resignation at my place of work and tonight is my last night.  I cried last year about surgery and this year no doubt I will cry again about leaving my co workers.  Both are the fear of the unknown.  However...I know I would have never ever had the "guts" to apply for such a big new challenging job with an additional 107 pounds on me.  Did the extra weight make me worse of a nurse?  No, it didn't.  It did, however, make me less of a person in MY eyes.  My eyes only, mind you....but mine all the same.

I have celebrated good times with all my friends and have had you carry me through bad times.  I did have a bowel obstruction and truth be told - scared me beyond what words can express.  It still scares me.   I understand it is a potential complication for life after surgery - and I knew that going into surgery - but it is scarier once it happens "to you".

I am definately an emotional wreck today - about everything, the past post surgical year included - but all in a very very VERY good way.

I could not have done it without each and every one of you.  Everyone has taught me something I didn't know a year ago.  Everyone has given me a laugh...a shoulder to cry on...an ear to talk to.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Here's to many more years of successing!

Pam

I am forever thankful to all of you who I have met on this board.

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
dit657
on 10/29/08 11:22 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Congratulations on your one year surgiversary, Pam - You have been such a huge source of inspiration, prayer, motivation and support to me that I know a large part of my success is knowing you and having you as a friend and someone I can always count on to be supportive or give a good butt kicking if need be.

I hope we've been the same for you, during good times and bad - you've had a very amazing, incredible, and yes, stressful year, but now you seem to be settling into your new skin and are embarking on a new life and I wish you all the best life has to offer.

Continued success to you in all things you do.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
bubble273
on 10/29/08 11:31 pm - Levittown, PA

Congrats, girlfriend!!!  What a great post....and I ditto on most things that you have been able to do and feel.  Great job!!!!  Have a great day of celebrating being 1!!!

Karen

EileenWalton
on 10/29/08 11:36 pm
Beautiful post.  I already posted on the other thread so I won't repeat it all here.  But I wanted to add good luck with the move and the new job and I hope tonight goes well for you.  I'm sure it will be difficult to leave a job that you loved along with the people that you have worked so closely with.  But closing chapters and opening new ones is what life is all about. 
Eileen

victoria3
on 10/30/08 12:05 am - Douglassville, PA
Congratulations and Happy Re-Birthday, Pam!   You are in inspiration to all!

Liz R.
on 10/30/08 12:15 am - Easton, PA
Pam - You have done a phenomenol job and we are all so proud of you! You are truly an inspiration and a motivator! We are happy to have you becoming an offical part of the PA group this weekend!

All my love and best wishes on many more years of successing!

*hugs*
your soon to be new neighbor

Liz
IdaMae D.
on 10/30/08 12:29 am - Philadelphia, PA
congratulations Pam

IdaMae

GD_007
on 10/30/08 12:44 am - Drexel Hill, PA

-GD
Laureen S.
on 10/30/08 1:06 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Wonderful post and you started a brand new life on this date last year, so I think it's kind of interesting that you are moving in a new direction this weekend in particular and with all the love and support you could need in place.  May only good things come your way, but for the realities of life, we are here,

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

ladychief231
on 10/30/08 1:24 am - Douglassville, PA
Congrats pam. You inspire us all nad have been a great mentor to us newbies.

Good luck with your move this weekend and hope to see you sometime soon.

Teresa

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views