Did I just dump or eat too fast???

GD_007
on 10/29/08 6:45 am - Drexel Hill, PA

Hey everyone,

Well, I don't think I dumped but I did throw up, somewhat spontanteously, last night.  I *think* I just ate too fast (which I don't normally do) and that was the reaction.  But I really don't know - so please hear me out and tell me what you think happened.

Here is the story:
I had been working rather late but still had frequent food while at work.  Food was good, I packed it that morning since I knew I would be late at work.  When I got home, around 8:30pm, my wonderful wife had made dinner and some left-overs were in the fridge.  Well, it was about time for my next small meal so I heated up some of the left-overs.  It was steamed broccoli, 1/4 cup of white rice, 2 tbls of light soy sauce, and thinly sliced cooked beef.  I sit down, had the baby in my arms, and think I ate too fast or did not chew the beef or broccoli enough...either way.  About 5 minute in I felt sore in the chest area.  I got up, walked/paced around a bit, put my arms above my head (don't ask why - I just did, it felt good).  I was only walking/pacing for a minute or two and I got the feeling like I was going to throw up.  Sure enough, I threw up.  This is the first time I've thrown up since the surgery.  After I threw up I felt fine and didn't have any other uncomfortable feelings nor headache nor anything else.  I waited about 45 minutes and had a glass of milk before I went to bed around midnight.

So, what's the issue?  Did I eat too fast?  I didn't realize that eating too fast could do that.  Could it have been the food itself?

Thanks,
-GD

Laureen S.
on 10/29/08 6:53 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Eating too fast can definitely cause the effect you are talking about.  Just wondering if you've had rice before, as some people cannot tolerate it.  Anyway, we live and learn in this post-WLS world we now live in and there are times we all get side-tracked and eat too fast, you experienced the price of it.

Best wishes, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

GD_007
on 10/29/08 7:04 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Hey Laureen,

Yes - I should have mentioned that also - I'm a rice eater and have not had problems with rice before.  I am a sushi fan :) and my wife comes from Asian decent.  She, ironically, does not like rice however I would prefer a 1/4 cup of cook rice over a baked potato any day.

-GD
DebiMcK23
on 10/30/08 12:23 am - Aston, PA

Hey GD,
Broccoli is a really tough food for me...  I have to be very careful when I eat it.
We went to PF Changs one time and halfway thru the meal, my husband looked at me and said I have to get you out of here...  We didn't make it home before I started throwing up.
I have found with broccoli, I have to cut it up in little pieces before I eat it.  I guess when I chew it whole, there are still some parts that are stringy...
Debi

303/197/153

GD_007
on 10/30/08 12:39 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Hey Debi,

Thanks.  Yes, I think it was a combination of eatting too fast and thereby not chewing the food enough and something got stuck.  It was a great experience.  I'm actually really glad it happened - I'd prefer not to experience it again.  I don't care how busy I am I'm going to chew chew chew chew (I usually do anyways).

I'd prefer *not* to believe that it was due to rice or brocolli.  Either way - I now approach brocolli with caution....just like I had a *bad* experience with pineapple after surgery - I now think twice before I have a cube of pineapple - I go for the watermellon :)

Thanks!  Catch you later,
-GD
(deactivated member)
on 10/29/08 7:04 am, edited 10/29/08 7:09 am
Doesn't sound like dumping but more like  you ate to fast and got sick. Did you get the foamies with it before you threw up?

About once a week while eating lunch at my desk I will not chew correctly or to fast and end up with my head in my trash can.

Trial and error along this journey.
GD_007
on 10/29/08 7:09 am - Drexel Hill, PA
No I don't *think* I got foamies.  I got one "practice" dry heave...then the 2nd heave definitly had food in a clear mucus type solution...same with the 3rd, 4th and 5th...then I was done.

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/08 7:18 am
Mucus = foamies...same thing....foamie is just a nicer sounding word than mucus LOL

Broccoli...gets me throwing up almost every time
Rice...also a tough one...sometimes ok, sometimes will make me sick
Beef....can also be a tough one for me depending on how tough/dry the meat is

Welcome to the "snot nosed kid in the throat" club (aka foamies)
Melanie B.
on 10/29/08 10:33 am - Doylestown, PA
Welcome to my world. You described what happens to me several times a week. It was late you were hungry, you ate too fast, food got stuck.

Now it's easy, just don't eat fast anymore....

Shannon O.
on 10/29/08 10:40 am - Reading, PA
i think it was eating too fast... plus rice doesn't sit well with me... it seems to soak up the stomach juices and then sits there like a block of rocks... so it could be both...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views