One-year postop visit with Dr. Boe

bubble273
on 10/29/08 4:21 am - Levittown, PA
Hi Everyone,

Well, today I had my one-year follow-up with Dr. Boe.  First thing of course we do is get on that scale.  Well, to my amazement I weighed in at 168!!!!!!!!  I cannot believe it.  The 160s???  To me that is just insane.  I am down 217 pounds.  UN-FRIGIN-BELIEVABLE!!!  It really doesn't seem possible.  My before and after Barix pictures are just ridiculous.  I will bring them to the next postop meeting.  The only thing I don't like is my face in the new pic...I actually look older than I want to.  So actually some fat is good, I think :)  I need a little in my face :)

Anyway, Dr. Boe said I've done an incredible job.  Because of all my personal issues, that's where our conversations always turn to.  He knows everything I've been through and always takes the time to talk to me to make sure that I'm okay.  I needed a new lab sheet...so I will go this week or next to get my one-year labs.  The nutritionist just told me to keep track of what I'm eating and to make sure that I start to exercise more, which I've been meaning to do.  And to keep up with my fluids.  That was basically it.  So all is good.

Now for a little reflection.  I've been meaning to do this, but just haven't took the time.  I will try to keep it short.

This time last year I was 385 pounds, depressed, miserable, a hermit crab and just very unhappy.  What a difference a year makes.  I am so much more confident in myself.  I'm not depressed or miserable and I'm definitely not a hermit crab.  I like to go out and have fun now and actually call people to go out.  Whereas, last year and in the few years leading up to surgery, my friends would beg me to go out.  And I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  I hated trying to find something to wear.  I had one outfit that I thought I looked good in.  And when I really had no choice but to go out, that's what I wore.  Not the best way to live.  The anxiety is gone!!!

I rode my first roller coaster back in August after probably 15 or 20 years.  I can go in any lawyer's or doctor's office and not worry about taking up two seats.  And I actually feel comfortable sitting right down next to someone and not having to worry about if my body is hanging over the sides and making the other person feel uncomfortable.  I can walk around my whole entire section without gasping for air, whereas before I couldn't hardly walk to the end of my block. 

The list is endless and I know more good things will come.  I have a wow moment everyday that I put my clothes on...mainly because I don't have to worry about if my one pair of pants is clean or what shirt to put on....because now I actually have something people call a wardrobe and have an outfit I can wear everday.  I love the wow moments I've had and will continue to have.  And I love the fact that I've met so many wonderful people on my journey.  And I couldn't have done it without any of you.

I know I've said it before and I will probably say it a million more times, but I thank all of you, I thank Barix, and I thank Dr. Boe for giving me my life back...or actually just giving me a life, because I never really lived until recently.  And I am soooooooo, sooooooooo grateful for all of it!!!

Love yas!!!

Karen

Liz R.
on 10/29/08 5:03 am - Easton, PA
Karen Congrats! You have done an absolutely AMAZING job and you should be so proud of yourself! I am sure that your family and friends are - and that absolutely handsome son of yours!

Keep up the fantastic work! What a year!

Liz
bubble273
on 10/29/08 12:22 pm - Levittown, PA
Thanks so much, Liz!!!

Karen

Laureen S.
on 10/29/08 5:05 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Congratulations!!! on all that you've accomplished thusfar, it's been a wonderful journey traveling this road with the likes of you and so many others! 

May you continue "successing" for the rest of your days, which since you've done the things you have, are probably going to be many, many years of them!!!

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

bubble273
on 10/29/08 12:23 pm - Levittown, PA
Thanks, Laureen!!! 

Karen

dit657
on 10/29/08 5:11 am - Boothwyn, PA
Your journey has been one of the most amazing ones I've seen so far - that is so much weight to lose in one year!! Do you even recognize yourself? I can only imagine how happy you are and how much better you feel - and I know Connor must be thrilled that you can do so much more with him now.

Congratulations!!! Awesome journey and its only just beginning!! Now you can sit back and enjoy the benefits of all your hard work!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
bubble273
on 10/29/08 12:24 pm - Levittown, PA
Thanks, Kathy!!!  And to answer your question, no, sometimes I don't recognize myself.  I look in the mirror and think to myself "who the hell is that?"  It has just been amazing!!!

Karen

Nicole0216
on 10/29/08 5:35 am - Lancaster, PA
WOW YOU ARE MY HERO. tHAT IS AMAZING.
bubble273
on 10/29/08 12:24 pm - Levittown, PA
Awwww, thanks so much, Nicole!!! 

Karen

Pam Hart
on 10/29/08 5:40 am - Easton, PA
Karen,

What a phenomenal post. I'm so happy for you.  You have shown us what successing really really is.  You have worked so hard and continue to do so.  Kudos to you.  I know Dr.Boe was probably estatic with you - and as well he should be.  Your pics should DEFINATELY be in the hallways to the consult rooms - you know - the really big ones and stuff like that.

Congratulations, Karen.  Thanks for showing us all how it is done!!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views