OT - but curious... what does everyone do for a living?

ladychief231
on 10/29/08 2:20 am - Douglassville, PA
Cool post thanks Liz.

I am a retired Chief of Police. I spent 15 years in law enforcement. I'm now working my second career as the Human Resources Director for a small publishing company. We publish healthcare trade magazines and one consumer magazine. Maybe you've heard of some of them? For The Record, Radiology Today, Social Work Today, Today's Dietitian, Aging Well and Today's Diet & Nutrition

I may be going back to school to become a registered dietitian.

Teresa

Teresa O

RNY 4/1/2008

PA

dit657
on 10/29/08 2:24 am - Boothwyn, PA
Man, I think I have the most boring job on here so far!!

I'm an AA for GE - it is kind of a different job for me since I was always on the sales side of GE then worked at BCBS of Delaware for 10 years in their accounting department. Now I'm the AA for the Corporate Environmental Programs dept in King of Prussia - I work with lawyers and geologists and we basically manage the clean-up of toxic waste sites that we either created (years ago before anyone knew this stuff was toxic) or from companies we've bought over the years.

We're a very small office - only 10 of us, and the most interesting thing about that is that last year 5 of us, including my boss and me, turned 50, so it was a year of big celebrations!

I do love my job and the people I work with - everyone gets along - no back-stabbing or gossiping - great enviroment. And everyone here knows about my WLS and have been totally supportive thru everything.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Lesley G.
on 10/29/08 2:26 am - Allegan, MI
I'm a project manager for an academic digital archiving firm affiliated with Princeton University.  For the past year, the project that I've managed has been creating a digital repository for universities in Africa, so normally I just say that I'm a Webmaster, since that's much easier to explain than saying I'm a Digital Archivist.  My educational background is in Philosophy and Theology, however, and I do dream of one day returning to that.  We shall see!
jojobear98
on 10/29/08 2:42 am - Gettysburg, PA
No Kathy, I have the most boring job! LOL

I am a Medical Assistant. I work for Wellspan Nephrology. I work with two physicians. One I like alot, the other not so much. The patients are great and always fun to chat with. We have 2 offices in our county and I work at both. I begin work at 7 am at one office, then leave there by 9:30 to finish up my day at the other one.

I like my hours and my job. But it's pretty basic. I call your name in the waiting room, get weight/height, Blood Pressures, collect urine and dip it, then make sure all the patients info is up to date. I also check in patients and check them out. And schedule any appointments or tests they need.

I am a one man band sort of. LOL

Nothing exciting like so many of you, but I like it.

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

clewis0224
on 10/29/08 2:56 am - brockway, PA
I am a hair stylist in Brockway PA part time and a full time mom 11 and 6.
(deactivated member)
on 10/29/08 2:57 am
Great post and what a diverse and intelligent group we have here on this board!! 

Let's see....I am the Coordinator of Developmental Special Needs Services for a WorkLife/EAP benefit company.  I know that we have contracts with the companies that a few people here on OH work for.  We contract with companies, universities, hospitals, etc to provide crisis and behavioral counseling (EAP) services to their employes, as well as services such as college planning, personal financial management, child and elder care resources and referrals, relocation resources, etc. 

I am in charge of all special needs cases that come in nation wide.  I also help with the child care resourcing and referrals.  So, if someone calls and needs troubled teen programs, speech/OT/PT therapists, special ed. schools, advocates, adult vocational programs, disability specific orgazations, etc...I help them by gathering the resources and making referrals to them.  When I do the child care counseling, I could be giving guidance to a parent on behavior problems, sleep issues, typical development, etc, helping them find private schools, day cares, ballet classes, summer camps, and the list goes on.  Really, if it has to do with an individual with special needs (any age) or a child, I do it....ask and you shall receive LOL.  I have become an expert on finding just about anything on the internet and other avenues.  I like my job because it is something different every day, each client is different. 

I was a special ed teacher for 8 or 9 years before this.  I worked both in the classroom (inclusive classrooms with both typically developing children and those with SN) and as an itinerate teacher working with infants and preschoolers with special needs in their homes, day cares, etc....wherever they spent their days.  I could be in a mansion on the main line in the morning and section 8 housing developments in Chester by afternoon....I loved the diversity and working so closely with the families...but, unfortunately, like many child related professions...I was severely underpaid and couldn't afford to support myself , as well as put myself through gradutate school.  So, I had to move on.  IF I ever come into a situation where I no longer have to work to support myself, I would go back to the homebased teaching in a minute.

OK...that's all folks!  Gotta get back to work!!

HG
DianeMarie
on 10/29/08 4:03 am - Delmont, PA
I'm the Health & Beauty Care Manager for a local Giant Eagle.  Was a stay at home mom up till I started there.

Diane

Diane Stuffer's Facebook profile
Dennis Belk
on 10/29/08 4:08 am - Philadelphia, PA
I'm one of a group of full time WLS support group leaders, who also do consulting for hospitals in the region with bariatric programs aiding them with their support group structures through a company called Lookin Tashrink Inc. This group also offers life coaching services for the weight- challenged.

Well, not really, but I'm dreamin' AND planning for the future.

My real job is as a Program Control Associate Director/Technical Supervisor for CBS Broadcasting in New York.

What the hell does that mean?

It means I operate in one of several control rooms that feed out live & taped programs/commercials/promos/feeds to all of the CBS and CW local affilliate stations across the nation. News, sports and entertainment all day long.

I just completed my 30th year at CBS in July.

Dennis

bubble273
on 10/29/08 4:27 am - Levittown, PA
Cool job, Dennis!!!  Congratulations on 30 years!!!  What an accomplishment!!

Karen

Nicole0216
on 10/29/08 4:43 am - Lancaster, PA
who also do consulting for hospitals in the region with bariatric programs aiding them with their support group structures through a company called Lookin Tashrink Inc. This group also offers life coaching services for the weight- challenged.

WOW Dennis  my jaw dropped. I was like no he didnt start this company and not tell me.
So if you do,,,,,,sign me up. I will be your first employee
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views