OT: Update on my niece

dit657
on 10/28/08 10:26 pm - Boothwyn, PA
First I want to thank all of you for your thoughts, prayers and wonderful responses to my post yesterday - you are the best group of people ever!!

When I got home last night I found out that the hospital would not admit my niece -- they won't admit you for testing - they'll only admit you if they know what's wrong and can treat you. I'm not sure I agree with that, but I guess with insurance the way it is these days they're not going to admit people when they don't know what's wrong with them.

So Leah is back to her doctor to continue more lab work and more tests - an MRI is being scheduled to see if her seizure history has anything to do with the swelling, joint stiffness and pain. I know they're looking at RA, lupus, and lyme disease - not sure what else they may be testing her for.

Thank you again for all your thoughts and prayers...it is appreciated more than I can ever say. Will keep you posted as soon as we hear something.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
(deactivated member)
on 10/28/08 10:29 pm
The state of health care today is scarey!  I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.  Definitely keep us posted.

HG
Laureen S.
on 10/28/08 10:45 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Kathy,

I never heard of such a thing before, used to be if the doctor sent you there for testing, it got done.  Insurance companies have way too much power in this country. . .   I hope they find a cause that is not serious soon. . .

Prayers and positive thoughts continuing for Leah and her family, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Pam Hart
on 10/28/08 10:51 pm - Easton, PA
It could possibly mean multiple trips to the ER...

but she can be admitted for "intractable pain".  She would probably have to be seen as an er patient...have the doc prescribe some drugs..go home...in a day or so go back...complain the meds aren't working...that her symptoms are getting worse (for example - in the morning have her hubby NOT unwrap her hands...and have her show up with her hands all clamped down) and then she can insist on her primary doctor being called (most likely depending on the insurance...) and then perhaps they can get her admitted.

Insurance companies are ridiculous.

OK, enough of my tirade.  Good luck to her and she will continue to be thought of here and prayers for her and her family.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
EileenWalton
on 10/28/08 11:05 pm
How ridiculous is that.  Now you have to know what's wrong with you before a hospital will take care of you.  Scary to think of how much power insurance companies have.  More positive thoughts heading her way.  Please keep us posted.
Eileen

tammypa
on 10/28/08 11:50 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Kathy,
Will keep your family in my prayers.

Just wanted to add that I love your new avatar.

Tammy
dit657
on 10/29/08 2:16 am - Boothwyn, PA
Thanks for both, Tammy - I still can't see my new avatar - that is so weird....

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Lslaven
on 10/29/08 1:44 am - Philadelphia, PA
Kathy:
I will continue to pray for your niece.  This is the hardest time.  She knows what she is feeling, and the doctors are unable to diagnose.  She may begin to think she is crazy.  I know, because I went through a similar thing.  Doctors said we know you are in pain, we know your inflammation is 5 times normal and cannot even believe you are able to walk, but we don't know what is causing it.  Here is some pain meds.....call us when it gets even worse.  Tell her to hang in there and be her own advocate!!!!!
Linda
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views