what are your views on the 5 day pouch test

cleos_mom
on 10/28/08 1:52 am - phila., PA
Who has done the 5 day pouch test and what were your results? I am having Abdominplasty on Dec 12th and I want to loose @ LEAST 10 MORE LBS BEFORE.

I was going to wait until the summer to have the abdominplasty but I have to have a Hysterectomy ASAP so I asked the GYN if  I could get an Abdominoplasty at the same time and he said that he would work with the PS. I am going to Lower BUcks Hospital GYN is Dr. Hasiuk and my PS is Dr. Lam. I am 56 y.o and post menopause so the weight loss has slowed almost stopped if I can loose 10 more lbs. I would be real happy.

I have been on liquids for 2 days now, so I thought I would do the 5 day pouch or if anyone has a better idea
Thanks Susan
Mary Benford
on 10/28/08 1:55 am - Emmaus, PA
Hey Susan!

Norm and I did this maybe 2 months back, and it really does work wonders to curb your hunger, and break the carb cycle...

I lost almost 9 lbs after the 5 days of doing it...  

Just make sure if you do it, you're getting all your vitamins/protein/water in!

Success is a journey... not a destination!     

Pam Hart
on 10/28/08 2:02 am - Easton, PA

We (meaning Brian and I...and of course...Brian didn't have the surgery so talk about going through hell...) did it in the summer time.

It did get me to "realize" what I was eating...break the carb cycle...and stop the grazing.  I didn't lose any weight during it - then again - I also had my monthly friend and I didn't gain the 4 pounds in water weight I normally do.  So perhaps even though numbers didn't reflect it - I did lose weight.

I take Shauna's take on it.  I don't ever want to "diet" again.  Meaning go on some eating program with the sole intention of losing weight.  I do it to "reset" my head.

I think it's a good program.  With the exception that even when you get to soft meats and what not they want you to consume your portion in 15 minutes.   That's ridiculous for anybody.

Good luck and congrats on the PS!

Pam

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Arlene E.
on 10/28/08 2:21 am - Philadelphia, PA

Susan

Congrats on the abdominoplasty.  Mine is Dec 3rd so my pain will be a week ahead of yours. But let's focus on the results.  Good luck with the hysterectomy.  I'd like to lose some weight before mine also, but I don't want to obsess about it because that would remind me of past obsessions with losing weight in a fixed amount of time.  Also - isn't it true that weight quickly lost may be gained quicker?  I do think I'll make sure I substitute one meal a day with protein and cut some carbs out.

arlene 

Nicole0216
on 10/28/08 3:00 am - Lancaster, PA
congrats! On the PS.

the 5 day was no big deal for me but I really did not lose any weight on it
Shan08
on 10/28/08 3:09 am - the Skook, PA

I always hear about this... can someone was please enlighten me as to what exactly the 5 day test is?

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
Laureen S.
on 10/28/08 3:55 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Here you go Shan. . .

It's something many people resort to when they've gotten off track or feel as though they can eat more, in other words their pouch is not working properly.  This sort of quickly takes you through the early days post-WLS.

http://www.5daypouchtest.com/

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Shannon O.
on 10/28/08 5:49 am - Reading, PA
I followed it twice and both times I didn't lose anything. For me I just follow the gastric bypass food prymid and only have 2 carb servings a day... etc... and that has worked the best for me... but now of course I am getting over a bladder infection that lead to a sinus infection and the only thing I could eat and breath at the same time was carbs and soup... but I have been slowly getting my eating back to normal now that I am almost healthy again... I think the best thing to do is protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and then a normal dinner and snacks and hit the gym for a couple of weeks... see if that helps...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views