Sorry Boys...This one is females only..TMI

lauraanne715
on 10/26/08 7:31 am - Pottstown, PA
Hi girls--

So before my surgery I went without a period for about two years maybe a little longer.  So right after surgery I get my period and then I had another one in June....but then nothing for July, August, and September. Then two days agos BAM my friend comes and OMG today is sooooo heavy and I am soo crampy it is unbelievable!!!

So my question is a) Does it regulate out after surgery? b) Does the HEAVY flow and cramping get less???

Even when I was having a period it was not like this...so I am a bit worried that this is how it will be from now on.  Any insight ???

Thanx!!!
Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

Shannon O.
on 10/26/08 7:51 am - Reading, PA
I say you have some form of PCOS like me... and that your hormones are starting to normalize out... and I still get super heavy flows and then light and then heavy etc... btw try the new pads by always (if you use them) they are freaking amazing when you have a really heavy flow...

BTW- my cramps have gotten worse... the last time I was this weight... I never had cramps... and man... now they are bad... but all this news made my OBGYN happy... such a sick man lol...

dit657
on 10/26/08 8:24 am - Boothwyn, PA
Your hormones are going to go crazy now - heck, I'm 51 and wish mine was DONE but it comes every month and yes, the cramping and backaches are killers now, but my flows have settled down and are somewhat normal. All part of the fast weight loss process - I'm sure someone can give you a more medical explanation!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
dit657
on 10/26/08 8:25 am - Boothwyn, PA
ps: I didn't recognize you! Your new avitar is awesome!!

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
lauraanne715
on 10/26/08 8:44 am - Pottstown, PA
Aww thank you!!!

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

Pam Hart
on 10/26/08 10:31 am - Easton, PA
Laura,

I was irregular before surgery - but not so much that I would miss it or whatever...it would be 3 weeks or 5 weeks or whatever...but it always came.  I just never knew exactly when (thankfully my boobs always got super tender about 24 hours before hand....so I at least had that warning)

This past month - 11 mos out - was the first time since surgery I wasn't doubled over in pain for the first 48 hours.  Before surgery I could time the cramps at 12 hours.  Set a clock to me.  Then the rest of it was nothing.

Also...my flow is a little longer now.  I used to be 72 hours...again...set a clock to me.  Now I'm more along the lines of 4-5 days depending.  And my newest trick?  Have it for 3 1/2 days.  Be done for a day - to the point of not a dri*****thing...and then it's back on day 5.  Go figure.  And lemme tell you - ****** me off!!  For gods sake when you're done you're done...don't come back!

OK....so there's my story.

Oh and as far as "take tylenol for it" like the docs say - well I might as well pop 2 tic tacs and say I've medicated myself.  I resorted to the lortab left over from surgery to sleep at night.  Again...this month was the first month I didn't need much if anything.  Good thing, to, cause the lortab was long gone and I was away when I had it with a friend at a work conference. 

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Jan K.
on 10/26/08 11:34 am - Was Jenkintown, PA but now NYC, PA
Hey Laura!

I wasn't menstrating before surgery either and wham, I got a tinge of it the day of surgery and then just about every month thereafter have been like clockwork (never before in my life was I this regular!).  It was supposed to be done with but no, it's because of the hormones being released from the fat you are losing which are sent it back into your system and BAM there it is!  Mine is nothing like it was when I first had surgery.  Now I hardly even realize I have it and it is gone within a couple of days.  How old are you?  I'm 50 and hope this is it since my OB/GYN really thought I was done with it all 2 1/2 years ago.  I have little to no levels of progesterone and my estrogen levels have been lowering more and more when I have had them checked.  Hoping all of the fat storage of hormones has been released!

Here's a couple of jokes:  What's the difference between a hormone and an enzyme?  You can't make an enzyme.  How do you make a hormone?  Don't pay her.
         You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
                                                                                 --Mahatma Ghandi 
                                 Celebrate Life, L'Chaim, Peace, Shalom

Lesley G.
on 10/26/08 12:25 pm - Allegan, MI
I agree with Shannon -- it sounds like PCOS to me.  I have it, too, and I call it the "gift that keeps on giving!"  I had to really fight to get it diagnosed and treated; at one point I even had a doctor tell me that he "didn't believe in PCOS" and I had another doctor tell me I didn't treatment unless I was trying to conceive, so I had to be a big whiny pest about it to get adequate treatment.  I'm glad I did though.  And WLS is supposed to alleviate a lot of the symptoms, which I'm happy about, but it does take some time to regulate.  Since my surgery I've had my first unmedicated cycle in about 12 years, so I'm pleased.  The heavy flow seems to go hand-in-hand with irregular cycles, but I'm told that as things regulate, the flow should ease up.
jovigirl
on 10/26/08 9:06 pm - washington, NJ
Laura,I too had a few months of really heavy periods gyno put me on Provera for a few months.I waited until my 6th straight week of heavy heavy bleeding to even call.Dumb I know.He explained that we store our estrogen in our fat & that the rapid weight loss sends it flooding our systems.Thankfully it all leveled out.I have no pain at all ever & didn't even when it was at its worst.If it continues with no end in site call your doc.I endeed up being severly anemic & am still trying to get my numbers back to normal

MeLinda 
 Goal is 165 or thigh high boots whichever comes first

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/08 2:12 am
Geeze Louise woman!  I think it's contageous.  I have been regular (as long as on bcps) for a very long time.  I  had it two weeks ago....nothing abnormal...light, short, etc.  This weekend I was eating everything in sight....was crampy yesterday...blew it off....and guess what??  I just started it again today....I shouldnt have it for 2 more weeks....and it is as heavy as I have ever seen it.  Hmmmm.....The only thing I can think of, is that on Thursday I had the upper GI and didn't get to take the pill  until late in the afternoon rather than at it's normal time....I can't believe that would trigger it to start up again though.  Oh well....guess I have to deal with it.

To answer your questions.....I have been on bcps since my early 20's because of my thyroid issues.  It has kept me regular as long as I am on them.  Doctor said I probably will never be able to get pregnant on my own....which is fine with me.  I got my period like a river hours after surgery....I didn't even realize what it was because it was so heavy...thought it was bleeding from the surgery.  I laid off of bcps for awhile after, but things got too screwed up....never predictable, heavy bleeding, horrible cramps and vomiting.  Went back on and I have been fine since.  I love the bcps because I know exactly when its coming, it stays 2 1/2 days, minimal symptoms (although I can be the ***** from hell the week before if you **** me off   I swear my head spins sometimes LOL)  They said I have signs of PCOS, but never officially DX it.  Honestly though, we all contribute it to my thryoid more than anything.

Hope you are feeling better.

HG

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views