thanks and a question post surgery

ncleary24
on 10/25/08 4:29 pm - Broomall, PA
Just want to thank everyone for the well wishes.

I have one question. Has anyone had an irritable bowel and had diarrhea for days after RNY?  I'm still on liquids, which I know is making the problem worse...I had the same problem when I was taking the liquid protein prior to surgery. I took immodium during the prep, but I don't think I can take it now. I will call my surgeon on Monday, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions before then.

Thanks,

Nancy

Pam Hart
on 10/26/08 12:11 am - Easton, PA
Yep - the diarrhea thing is common.

Liquids in = liquids out.

However - as you mentioned - the protein powders can add to it.  Try to break up your protein if you can.  Meaning if you are drinking protein shakes w/ 25 gm of protein in them - maybe only drink half.  Or dilute it more.

Also - see if it changes w/ milk vs. water.  Many people find themselves lactose intolerant, at least temporarily, after surgery.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Jan K.
on 10/26/08 1:10 am - Was Jenkintown, PA but now NYC, PA
Hi Nancy,

Congrats on your surgery!  I did not have diarrhea but seemed more like a bit constipated.  Anyway, the best advice is to always check with your doctor!  Some drugs can be more caustic to your new insides than others. 

Let me ask you, how are you with milk products?  I gott diarrhea from it and terrible cramping and explosions.  Many folks become lactose intolerant after surgery and if you had irritable bowel prior, I would venture a guess that dairy might be one of your demons.  If you are doing protein shakes I suggest using Soy Slender Milk (very low sugar, taste GREAT, and no lactoce) to mix your protein.  Soy Slender comes in 4 flavors, vanilla, chocolate, cappuchino, and I believe they now have an unflavored.  I purchased them in ACME in the organic food section (non-refrigerated).

Good luck!

Jan
         You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
                                                                                 --Mahatma Ghandi 
                                 Celebrate Life, L'Chaim, Peace, Shalom

ncleary24
on 10/26/08 3:44 am - Broomall, PA
Thanks for the replies. I seem to be having the problem no matter what I drink.  I'll see if someone can pick me up some soy milk today. I'm going to call my doctor in the morning.  Just wondering if others had the same issue.

GO PHILLIES...on to game 4 tonight!!!!! wooo hoooo

Nancy

Ursie77
on 10/26/08 10:49 am - Freemansburg, PA
I suffered from IBS before surgery.  For the entire time I was on liquids after surgery, I had no control over my bowels.  I even went to my one week check up and took a change of clothes just in case!  Its very common, and once you start eating solids, it goes away!
ncleary24
on 10/26/08 3:30 pm - Broomall, PA
Ursie,

Thank you answering me about the diarrhea. I was hoping that I wasn't the only one with this problem. Did your IBS get better after the RNY surgery? 

I was upset that I am going to be like this forever. I know in the past,  if I went on liquid diets or low carb-high protein diets, then my IBS would go into high gear....as soon as I started eating more carbs, I was better. I'll call my surgeon in the morning to see if he has any suggestions while I'm still on liquids.

Thanks,

Nancy
Ursie77
on 10/26/08 10:26 pm - Freemansburg, PA
I haven't had one bout with my IBS since surgery.  I've actually been more regular than I've ever been in my life, and I only go once a day.  It used to be 4 - 5 times a day before.  I'm loving every second of it!!!
ncleary24
on 10/27/08 5:01 am - Broomall, PA
I had heard that people often get constipated after RNY, and I was hoping that I would get a little of that after surgery. I was just like you...4 - 5 times a day. I called the doctor's office today, and the PA said it was normal. I am concerned b/c I can't got back to work like this. I go to the surgeon on Wednesday, so I'll see what he says then.

Thanks for the encouraging words

Nancy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views