4 Year Battle

DebbieK2369
on 10/24/08 10:35 pm - PA

I had a RNY 10 years ago.  I knew there was something wrong when I started to regain weight, but I had no clue what.  I went to my (now retired) surgeon and had did an upper GI to confirm my pouch was still in tact.  My pouch is not transected.  He couldn't find anything else wrong.

My weight continued to rise.

I went to my new follow-up surgeon, Dr. Ku and he also did an upper GI and found my stoma was stretched to 1-1/2 times the normal size and all my food is basically passing right through me. This leaves me hungry literally ALL the time.  Plus, he says he can't help me.  So I eat.  I give up.  I eat horrible unhealthy foods and I have regained 80 lbs. so far. I know better and now I'm mad.  I want to get this thing fixed!  I've started eating healthy again.  Killing myself with high fat foods isn't helping.  Duh!  No weight loss, though.

Finally, Dr. Ku contacted me about a study being done in Philadelphia called Stoma Stapling.  I go through the study, have the stapling done, and lose 20 lbs.  Then promptly regain it again.  Hunger is back.

Now, I'm researching having a full revision.  I went to see Dr. Meihlan in Philadelphia and he recommended making my pouch smaller and creating a new stoma.  I LOVE the idea, but don't know anyone that has had this done....OR if Dr. Meihlan is the best surgeon to perform the revision.  Some have mentioned changing to the DS, but there aren't any surgeons in my area that can do it. 

Does anyone have names of surgeons in the Philly/Reading area that do revisions and have experience at them?

Any other suggestions/support would be GREATLY appreciated!

Debbie

Pam Hart
on 10/24/08 10:46 pm - Easton, PA
Debbie,

I do not know the names of any surgeons who specifically do that and also don't know areas all that well as currently I am a jersey girl.

I do wish you luck on your continued journey.  You are right - eating the garbage certainly isn't helping any and you owe it to yourself to at least do everything you can to help out the situation.  The only other suggestion I can make is exercise as you don't mention this in your post  Regardless of how well your pouch is or is not functioning, exercise can only help matters.

My surgeon was Dr. Pupkova at Barix Clinics in Langhorne, pa.  I don't know how far from Philly that is - and I'm not even real sure she does revisions - but is one of the top surgeons in the field, and is the best in my opinion - but then again - I'm biased ;-)

Good luck!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
DebbieK2369
on 10/30/08 9:46 am - PA
Pam,

Thank you for the info! After I posted here I found a list of surgeons that do revisions in the Philly area.  Unfortunately, my options are limited.  I've already contacted Dr. Dallal's office and they are sending me a packet to check into. His patient feedback here looks good.  It doesn't list Dr. Pupkova as having experience with revisions and I definitely need/want someone with experience.

Thanks for the feedback and support!

Deb
levittown_loser
on 10/25/08 12:06 am - Levittown, PA
Debbie,

I'd highly recommend looking into a full revision to the DS.    And as a side note, we are talking about your life here so traveling a bit to get to a qualified REVISION surgeon is well worth it. 

Please come to the DS board and the Revision boards here on OH and do some digging. 

My surgeon does the DS at Abington Hospital.   I'd say though that the most experienced REVISION surgeon in our area is Dr. Greenbaum out of Willingboro NJ.

http://www.duodenalswitchdoc.com/index.html

You deserve to have a surgery that works for you.  Do you homework and finish this journey! 

Best of luck to you,
Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

DebbieK2369
on 10/30/08 9:49 am - PA
Tom,

Thank you so much for the info. I'm still on a fact finding mission and I definitely want to talk to the surgeons about the DS.  I'm concerned about the higher malabsoption feature of the DS, especially since I'm kinda getting up there in years and osteoporosis is a real threat to women.  I'm just not sure I'm confortable with that level of treatment.  Can you expand on your experience and knowledge of this area? I'm 100% compliant with my vitamins (except for my calcium - ugh!)
I'll have to check and see if my insurance covers NJ and Dr. Greenbaum.

Thanks again!

Deb
retta0426
on 10/25/08 8:29 am - Middletown, PA
Ok, first can I say.. I had NO idea you were on this board!! And you already know I absolutely adore you and support you in everything you do. So, that said, anything I can do to help, you know I will be there.
Pam mentioned Barix, you know I had my surgery there and would recommend anyone and everyone who can go there, make it a point to go! The staff there is wonderful, thier bedside manner is the best, I've never met a group of people who will support you more then they do and will. I'm hoping after the holidays I'll be able to make the Saturday support group meetings they are just starting.
And second, we really need to find a Saturday night we can get together, I miss you and my "Big Brother!" My schedule is about to get crazy again with the holidays coming, but we can figure something out.
Love ya girlfriend!
DebbieK2369
on 10/30/08 9:51 am - PA
LOL - Hey GF....I forgot I was a member too since I joined 10 years ago when this was a website still in its infancy!  This is the BEST resource out there for people needing to do research.  I still send people this way.

Let me know when you're ready to get out!

Love ya!!!
shoutjoy
on 10/25/08 9:41 am - Culpeper, VA
Hi,

Everyone has their favorites but I would recommend the MGB (Mini-Gastric Bypass).  It is done laproscopically.  Success rate is extremely high.  Check it out for yourself, of course, at http://clos.net.

Paula
DebbieK2369
on 10/30/08 9:54 am - PA
Thank you, but i don't think you can revise a RNY to a MGB.

shoutjoy
on 10/30/08 11:05 am - Culpeper, VA
Yes!! it can!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views