Do NOT open PMs from deactivated members!

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/08 7:44 am
I opened a PM from a deactivated member on my work computer....it gave me the virus from hell...it is currently eating up my computer and spitting it out as we sit here....distroying it.....The IT people were trying to stop it when I left the office this afternoon.  I had heard of this happening on OH in the past, but I wasn't thinking when I opened it....my mistake.  Unfortunately, I also picked up a virus or two on my home computer which I am in the process of fixing.....I guess this just wasnt my week.  But, after all these years of computer use, this is the first time I have ever gotten hit. 

So, if you get a PM from a deactivated member....DO NOT OPEN IT!!

That's my public service announcement for the day :)

HG 
keri2008
on 10/24/08 8:37 am - PA
How do you know if they are a deactivated member?????????
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/08 10:00 am
Instead of a screen  name (ie keri2008)  it would say "deactivated member."
Pam Hart
on 10/24/08 11:44 am - Easton, PA
Ya know - I didn't think of mentioning this but the other day - Wednesday evening - after being on this site I got one hell of a virus which took Brian (MY IT department here at home) most of Wednesday to get rid of.  I didn't chalk it up to OH specifically but now am wondering.

Thanks for the public service message, definately appreciated.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
GD_007
on 10/24/08 11:56 am - Drexel Hill, PA
...but it is safe to open the emails from a long lost very rich relative.....who needs your SSN, and 5 previous addresses.....
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/08 12:17 pm
yeah...and make sure you include you bank account numbers....

its amazing how many people fall for the online scams....I just worked with a guy who sent every dime he had to a "loan agency" that said if he sent them $958 and gave them is banking info, they would cut him a check for $5,000....uh, guess what?  They took his money and ran....I felt bad for him, but seriously...who falls for those scams??
Pam Hart
on 10/24/08 12:20 pm - Easton, PA
well apparantly he does....

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/08 12:24 pm

a lot of people must or the scammers wouldn't still be scamming. 

Back to the original problem email....I always thought as long as you didnt respond or click on any links in the body of the email you would be safe even if you opened it...but obviously I was wrong!!  Seriously...who as a kid says "I want to be an internet hacker when I grow up!"  The world is full of ********

jdruski
on 10/27/08 1:29 am - Philadelphia, PA
Yes, but only if he lives in Nigeria and you are the only person in the US that he can trust with his 20 trillion dollars.  Now send me $100.00 for the processing fee and I will get in touch with your long lost uncle bob.

I have been getting this like crazy.  I just report them to spam, but it is scary that some people may take it for real.

Jeanne
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views