Massage after surgery?

keri2008
on 10/24/08 8:36 am - PA
Is it okay to get massage therapy after surgery?  Is there a time period you should wait?  I'm trying to think of other ways to process/deal with stress and nurture myself.  This is normally a good one for me but I'm concerned.  Anybody who knows/can help me?

Keri
Shannon O.
on 10/24/08 10:02 am - Reading, PA
well I have been getting them since May at my chiropractor's office... I get that and stim treatment and them adjusted it... so I have been doing since 8 months out... I would double check since you had your surgery not to long ago...

But, if you have knots like I did... you are going to be hurting for a few days... and then you will feel amazing... when they worked my neck and shoulders last week because of my sinus infection (to help me breath) my neck was killing me... but now it feels great... and it is really strange to be all stopped up... but be able to breath through your nose at the same time... cool but strange lol...

Pam Hart
on 10/24/08 11:42 am - Easton, PA
I would think it would be fine...just wait to be sure you are not tender anywhere and can comfortably lay on your stomach and such.  You could alway touch base with your surgeon.

I think a massage for stress relief is an awesome idea!  Kudos to you for thinking of ways to deal with stress without our normal "companion" that shows a lot of great motivation coming from within you!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
keri2008
on 10/24/08 12:16 pm - PA
Thanks Pam.  I don't really have any tenderness or anything I'm just nervous because there's already so much "loose" in my system from all the weight loss so I'm concerned this might add to that (as massage is a great way to release things trapped in the muscles, etc.).  My appt. is tomorrow at 1.  I'll let her know that I've had surgery and to go lighter.

I'm trying!!!  LOL. It's not easy, that's for sure.  I miss my friends (FOOD ITEMS!!!) but I'm working it.

k
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/08 3:13 pm

aI had one 4 weeks after surgery ...He knew I had surgery but I was fine I didn't change anything about my normal massage.

keri2008
on 10/24/08 8:08 pm - PA
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!  I feel better now about going.  Sigh.  Now I'm excited!
Nicole0216
on 10/25/08 1:36 am - Lancaster, PA
you are fine.
i have one every 2 weeks
keri2008
on 10/25/08 8:22 am - PA
Thanks NIcole.  I went.  It was fantastic. She said the timing after surgery was great so she did a lymph node drain massage.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views