Protien

amy M.
on 10/24/08 12:19 am - PA
I'm looking for some protien suggestions.  I'm 5wks out from RNY.  I eat greek yogurt, milk, protein bars.  I need some more suggestions.  I don't do well with protien powder.

Thanks,
Amy

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/08 12:34 am
How about trying some FF Ricotta cheese with some sauce and nuke it or you can add some Splenda and cinnamon to it. That got me through many of the early days.
Pam Hart
on 10/24/08 12:51 am - Easton, PA
Well Beth gave you my all time favorite suggestions.  1/4 cup nonfat ricotta = 10gm

I also used 2% cheesesticks (and still do)  The ones I get one of them has 8gm of protein.

I didn't do well with protein powders - but kept trying some pre made shakes until I found one I could tolerate.  I still drink them on rare occassions to this day.  My personal fav is the low carb EAS strawberry one.  Tastes like Strawberry Quick Powder

To milk you can add a packet of no sugar added Carnation Instant Breakfast.  I used skim plus milk which has 11gm of protein in 8 ounces and one packet = 5gm so total it was 16gm

Profect and New Whey make "protein bullets"  Profect is 25gm in 3 ounces  New Whey is 42gm in 3 ounces.  I think both taste absolutely awful.  However it's only 3 ounces so in the early days I used them and looked at them as "medicine"  It was three sips holding my nose and I was done.

Protein powders - you don't have use a whole scoop - you can add just part of a scoop to multiple things throughout the day.  Measure out one scoop and put it in your milk and yogurts and what not for an additional 25ish gms throughout the course of the day.

I also LOVED unjury chicken broth.  It is a protein powder that you stir into warm water and it tastes like chicken broth.  Seriously - no after taste or anything!

I think I basically lived on yogurt, ricotta cheese, milk, and string cheese for quite some time.

Good luck!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
courtzi
on 10/24/08 1:52 am - SCHUYLKILL HAVEN , PA
What about that MAX that people talk about.  I know eggface talked about it in Philly too.  Where can you get it
Pam Hart
on 10/24/08 2:02 am - Easton, PA
I'm unfamiliar with that one and wasn't at the philly event....
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/08 2:48 am
Pam,

It is called Max Protein and it taste great just like Yahoo...It does have that proteiny (is that a word) Taste to it. Like Lesley said below you can find it at certain GNC's not all of them. It is normally on sale for a good deal.
Lesley G.
on 10/24/08 2:30 am - Allegan, MI
The Max Protein (the one suggested by Eggface) is SO GOOD, esp. the chocolate.  It's sold at certain GNC's, but not all of them so call first to make sure.  I couldn't stand the taste of most protein powders right after my surgery, but I was fine with the Max Protein.  And now that it's cold I make it into a hot chocolate -- very very good!
jackie j
on 10/24/08 6:16 am - Glenmoore, PA

At 5 weeks you are eating bars but don't mention soft foods...have you started with tunafish, mashed cheesteaks/hamburger, chili or insides of lasagna (not the noodles) yet?  I just brokedown leftover roast, celery and onion with my chopper this morning and added a tsp. mayo to make a roastbeef spread that I put on crackers or just eat as is.    Any of these things can be further broken down for pureed phase...make LOOK weird, but it'll taste great and get the protein in.

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

DianeMarie
on 10/24/08 9:51 am - Delmont, PA
Smileycons!
I've given up my morning coffee and now drink Myoplex lite.  It's not bad at all.  It's already made up for you.  Just shake and pop the lid and drink.  It comes in three flavors that I know of.  Chocolate, Vanilla & Strawberry. It has 20 grams of protien.

Good luck,
Diane (soon to be on the losers bench!)

Diane Stuffer's Facebook profile
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views