On the importance of vitamins....

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/08 8:24 am
I just read this post over on the main board.  It's a real eye opener and I think important for all of us to read...especially for those that are not taking their vitamins like they should....or not taking them at all.  We tend to think "that will never happen to me" but I know from things in my past (long before WLS) that the "it will never happen to me" can and does happen. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/a,messageboard/action,replies/board_id,4856/cat_id,4456/topic_id,3763724/page,1/
BlancheJackson
on 10/23/08 9:12 am - Butler, PA
Thank you for posting this.. I just made my DH read it as he is ALWAYS forgetting, or even throwing his away!!  Especially calcium.  He has had 2 kidney stones and swears that is why.. it isn't.. the man does not know the meaning of the word WATER.  He drinks everything else, but very very little water!

Blanche Jackson    352/314/258.6/180  

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/08 10:32 am - Poconos, PA
Thank you for posting that link Heather. You probably helped quite a few people by doing so.

I was also one of those folks who thought "that will never happen to me" until finally one day it did. I ended up being rushed to the hospital and needed a blood transfusion of 2 units. I was told that if it hadn't been caught when it was and another 2 or 3 days had passed then I would have been in ICU fighting for my life. It was the worst day of my life to say the least and all because I couldn't "remember" to take a lousey iron pill twice a day. These days, I'm still severely iron deficient and I have to take iron supplements 3 times a day on top of my multivitamin with added iron but I'll take that over nearly dying any day of the week.

So many people don't realize the damage they can do to themselves by not taking their vitamins and/or getting their regular bloodwork done. Hopefully those who are struggling with it or those who take it lightly will read that post and do the right thing from here on out. I don't think it can ever be stressed enough how important it is to have and follow a vitamin regimen so all we can do is keep posting these stories to hopefully get the message across.

Thank you again for posting it.
Shannon O.
on 10/23/08 12:05 pm - Reading, PA
I always take mine before bed... I started doing that when I was pregnant and kept up the habit...

GD_007
on 10/24/08 11:41 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Hey Shannon - I do the same.  My logic is that "your body heals at rest" so I might as well give it the vitamnes it needs when it's trying to heal.  I could be *way wrong or off base....but hey, it works in my world :).

I also have a jar of vitamen gummy bears at work and when I get "one of those" cravings I take a couple gummy bears and repeat in my head "nothing tastes better than being healthy".

-GD
Shannon O.
on 10/24/08 2:10 pm - Reading, PA
Well I started doing it at night because when I was pregnant I had Gestinal diabeties (GD and however it is spelled) and if I took in the morning it would spike my blood sugar levels... btw #1 ingredient in prenatal vits is SUGAR... what the heck... so if I took it at night... my blood sugar levels were normal in the morning... but then my OBGYN said that by taking it at night it stays longer in our tummies to break down and more of get used because we aren't up and eating and drinking etc... so I was like cheer for me I did something right lol...

We can have the gummy vits? I thought that since they were gummy that they would be all sugary and stuff... or are there sugar free ones around... I know Lorelei has them... but never looked at the label... all I know is that she has no problem taking them because she thinks it is candy lol...

dit657
on 10/23/08 9:39 pm - Boothwyn, PA
I always get at least one in a day, plus my calcium and B-12, but I do keep a bottle of chewable vitamins on my desk at work and a reminder on my calendar to take one during the day, then I eat the other one at night before or right after dinner. I always took a multi-vitamin, tho, so its not too hard to remember.

Yeah, our bodies just aren't built the same way and we need that extra nutrition. Good post!

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
GD_007
on 10/24/08 11:42 am - Drexel Hill, PA
I love those gummies....(as I posted above)
-GD
seruice1
on 10/24/08 12:19 am - huntington valley, PA
Hey Heather,
great post
thank you
jack
GD_007
on 10/24/08 11:47 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Yes, good post HG. 
-GD
Most Active