The good, the bad and the ugly

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/08 3:27 am
I had an upper GI today.  I was there for only 4 hours...could have been longer I guess.  They made me change into gowns and hospital pants.  When she handed me the pants, I was certain they weren't going to fit.  When my nephew was born, my sister asked that I go into the OR with her during an emergency C-section.....the nurse gave me scrubs.  I couldn't pull the pants past my knees....the b*tch c*nt of a nurse looked me up and down and said "Well we don't carry anything larger!!!"  then went off in a huff.  Any way...that was 5 years ago.  Today, the pants, that i almost paniced over, went up and were actually WAY too big....cool!! 

So, that was the "good"

The bad....was that awful Barium...and the pop rock stuff they make you swallow first.  I thought my pouch was going to explode and spew right out of my mouth.  "Don't burp".....oh, ok....you realize that you are talking to the queen of bleching right???   I was a good girl and did not burp, but good Lord it was nausiating......

That was the bad LOL

Now the ugly....the tech told me to make sure I drank and ate alot today so that I push the barium out...otherwise it will sit in there and harden up like cement....Talk about needing to drop a load

Well, that was an exerience I never want to go through again.  I wonder if its that bad for a person with "normal" insides??

Thanks for letting me share my fun morning!

HG
Liz R.
on 10/23/08 4:08 am - Easton, PA
YAY @ the pants being too big!

and a big EWWWWWW at the rest! You were awake for it?! I have always been knocked out for an endoscopy! And - was all ok or did they find what they are looking for?

Drink lots of water! Passing cement can't be fun! lol

Liz
(deactivated member)
on 10/23/08 5:29 am
No endoscopy....it was x-rays...I am going to be glowing in the dark for a few days!!  Nothing went down my throat other than the poprocks and barium.

The radiologist said at one point she didnt see any obstructions...so we will see what Dr. Braders says.

hg
Shannon O.
on 10/23/08 4:23 am - Reading, PA
they told me the same thing for Lorelei... and it still came out as a rock poop... it was so hard that it caused her to bleed... get some prunes or prune juice and drink some... like 1/4 of a cup every few hours... eat normal... but that barium is evil!!

When do you find out the results of your up gi?

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/08 5:30 am
Great! LOL  I will up the fiber!

As soon as Dr. Brader checks out the films....I am dropping the CD in the mail tomorrow.

HG
dit657
on 10/23/08 4:26 am - Boothwyn, PA
Except for the baggy pants part it sounds like it did go well for you - rid yourself of the barium asap, tho. You surely don't want that problem on top of everything else!!

Oh god, I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one burping like crazy - my granddaughters love it, tho!!

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
(deactivated member)
on 10/23/08 5:30 am
Burping is fun LOL....I never burped pre-op...didn't even know how. 
Nicole0216
on 10/23/08 4:32 am - Lancaster, PA
sounds awful.
but hey you have an excuse to pig out today right?

I know bad nicole that is old way of thinking.
well maybe
(deactivated member)
on 10/23/08 5:33 am
I better get pigging...I hear lots of rumblings in there.....I hope its not the sound of concret hardening LOL

HG
jdruski
on 10/23/08 4:44 am - Philadelphia, PA
Heather,

Great news on the pants.  I still look chairs, etc and say, "No Way".  Congratulations on that wow.

Questions for you.  Why did you have to have an upper GI?  Are you having problems with heartburn, gerd, etc.  I am not being noisy I am trying keep a track of some things that have been happening to me.  Even though we are all individuals and have our own medical issues, I have noticed some common complaints amoung the 2 year + post ops that I talk to.

If you don't mind sharing.  You can PM if you like.

Thanks in advance.

Jeanne

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views