Insurance Denied

crcp21
on 10/22/08 9:42 pm - Newark, DE
I was excited that I got into the mind set that I was going to have to the surgery and insurance denied me so quickly it was scary.  I do not know where to turn next.  The person at Barix told me to contact my employer so I will do that tomorrow.  It is weird because my insurance told me that they would approve it as long as it was for a medical condition.  The company told Barix it was not approved at all. 
dit657
on 10/22/08 10:16 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Please don't get too discouraged yet - find out why insurance is denying your request and go from there. Sometimes you have to sit down and really dig into the reps that handle the insurance to get the 'real' answers. When I first submitted for my insurance approval the woman on the phone said it wasn't covered, but I persisted and got another rep who was much more informed and sent me the information I needed in order to go thru the insurance process to become approved - and it worked.

So don't give up or give in - keep pushing...

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Laureen S.
on 10/22/08 11:05 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Ok, take a deep breath and I'll tell you what I would do is to make a call directly to the insurance company and ask what their criteria is for Bariatric/Weight Loss Surgery and what if any hoops you have to jump through to meet them, as in 6 month pre-certification, doctor/nutrionist monitored diet, or any other such things.  If you should find out that they have exclusions for the surgery, talk to your HR department and see if there are any alternatives.  I see you in a wedding dress, so maybe you need to switch over to your husbands insurance company. . .  Sometimes we have to jump through a lot of hoops to get the desired results.  Start with the phone calls and let us know how you make out.

Best wishes, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

(deactivated member)
on 10/23/08 8:13 am
I'm sorry this happened.  They insurance company is banking on your giving up and walking away quietly....DO NOT GIVE UP....fight for it.  I hope it works out for you.

HG
crcp21
on 10/23/08 9:54 pm - Newark, DE
Thanks everyone.  I will be busy contacting everyone today.
Have a great weekend.
Pam Hart
on 10/23/08 10:55 pm - Easton, PA
Sorry I'm late on replying but everyone is right.  Definately contact the insurance company and also the bairx rep.  they should know what you need for approval.  Perhaps it was something stupid like a lab test or something like a documented 6 mos diet plan or whatever.

You can also file an appeal.  Make sure you get letters from any doctors you see for why this surgery is medically necessary and also a letter from you outlining why you need the surgery what it will do for you etc.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views