Making Kitchen Preparations

deebatt
on 10/22/08 10:03 am - Imperial (Pittsburgh), PA
ok im only into my second month of pre op but i'm thinking about how i need and want to get back into the groove of cooking.  its been too many years to remember since i enjoyed cookingl...i think i forgot how lol.  living on pre packaged meals and fast food has not only harmed my weight and health, its made me forget all about the joys of cooking (boy do i have lots to learn)

I was wondering...what do you all suggest for a well stocked kitchen....both food wise and equipment wise.  I'm particularly interested in what food prep items you find most useful to you. 

thanks!!
~Denise
~ Denise 

Shannon O.
on 10/22/08 1:17 pm - Reading, PA
For me these are a must and I use them all the time!

Seasonings and spices- make sure you read the lable so you don't get ones with sugar in them but this is a great way to add a flavor bang without breaking the bank!

Splenda or store brand splenda- I have seen this cheaper at BJ as Splenda but Giant and the Super Walmart carry this as a store brand... and is about 2 bucks cheaper most times...

A blender/magic bullet- A blender is great if you are making a lot of something... magic bullet great for a single serving. To me go for a great blender with a wide bottom (makes it easier to clean)... my magic bullet didn't even last a year.

A cast iron pan- another great way to add flavor and something different to cook in.

A Grill pan- some would say to get a cast iron one... to me a non stick one is soooo much easier to clean up lol!

Pampered Chef stone ware- the one that is $65 bucks that is the bottom with a lid. Every piece of meat I have cooked in it comes out sooooo moist- which makes it easier on our tummys as well... well worth the money!

Toddler/baby food bowls and spoons- makes it a lot easier to learn how to re-eat after surgery... I was lucky and could just use my daughters... but they are cheap... and some come with lids... which makes them awesome for taking food to work for lunch etc...

Some things that are extras- not needed but would make things fun... and Ice cream maker for protein ice cream, heat proof spatulas, different flavors of sugar free sryups, different flavors of protein powder (wait till after surgery because your taste buds do change), sugar free pudding packs and fat free gravy- these tend to go on sale this time of the year... stock up! A slipat- this is a non stick cooking mat that can go on cookie sheets...

I don't know what you have now in your kitchen... etc... but I know I use my WW cookbooks along with low carb ones, THe Joy of Cooking, etc... even some Amish ones... i just take out the sugar and put in splenda etc... or reduce the fat by adding sugar free apple sauce etc...

I also don't know how well of a cook you are... but part of it is just playing with your food... I know I use my spices a lot... I think I have over 200 different kind... I'm not kidding lol... so one night it might be an asian spice rub on steak the next night greek on some chicken... also look for the sugar free BBQ sauce by KC Masterpiece and Sugar free ketcup by Heniz... I still haven't found a sugar free steak sauce... I used those a lot in steak wet rubs... but now instead of a cup (they are high in sugar) I use 2 TBSP and add in apple cider vingar, worshie sauce, soy sauce and olive oil... still get the flavor... but not the sugar...

Hope that helps

Pam Hart
on 10/22/08 6:54 pm - Easton, PA
I love to play in the kitchen!!

I always have on hand in the pantry:

Splenda
Spices (including salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, ginger, oregano, basil etc)
Tomato Paste
Lite Soy Sauce
Bar B Que Sauce (This is for hubby - I don't use much at all - so I don't bother w/ sugar free)
Taco Seasoning packets
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sesame Oil (kept in fridge, not pantry)

My gadgets:
A mandolin (for uniformely and QUICKLY slicing things like veggies for a salad, potatoes for dishes I make....)
A food processor
A crock pot (this is a new discovery of mine - and I love it!  I work nights....so when I come home in the am I will throw something in the crock pot, go to bed, and when I get up hubby has dinner all ready for him!)
A Kitchen Aide (I make mashed potatoes in it...and I do still bake....sometimes things I can't eat for others...and it's wonderful)

I have multipe small screw cap 1 cup containers which I use for myself.  I put my yogurts in it for the week and that way I just have to grab and go.  I also put in serving sizes of meat and what not for me.  Hubby knows if it is in a small container it's mine and to stay away!

I tend to make my own marinades by combining aeromatic veggies (onions etc) and spices (dried or fresh) and things like Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Vinegar...soy sauce and sesame oil if doing asian style...balsalmic vinegar and italian spices, onion, and garlic for italian style....all sorts of things.

Have fun!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Shannon O.
on 10/23/08 5:08 am - Reading, PA
ok here is some photos of my spice collection...

Picture 10-13-08 012 by you.

Picture 10-13-08 017 by you.

deebatt
on 10/23/08 10:06 am - Imperial (Pittsburgh), PA
Thanks Shannon and Pam.  WOW i was only thinking of appliances and gadgets,  my brain didnt even graze the thoughts of spices  (smacking myself in the head here)
   now i'm all pumped up to clean out my pantry, i'm sure i have spices in there over 10 years old LOL

you gals are a  big help......THANKS

~Denise
~ Denise 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views