"Almost sickly"

Pam Hart
on 10/21/08 2:48 am - Easton, PA
So a little background info...whenever I have to get blood work done I try to dress nice because with my insurance I have to go to work to get it done...and on the off chance I see my co workers...I don't want to be looking like a slob  So today I put on my "nice" jeans (the ones that cost like $80...) a nice sweater top (which by the way I am able to tuck in, whoo hoo) and my nice black boots.  I looked pretty good I might add.  Or so I thought.

Got the blood work done then went to mom and dads house.  They were both home....

I walked in and my father said "Are you ok?  At this point you look almost sickly"  Hmmmm.

I don't think I looked sickly today.  Granted - there are times that my clothes are to big and I do have that "my clothes are falling off of me would somebody please feed this poor girl" look to me....but today....I was comfortable with what I looked like.

Now - both my parents are fluffy.  Not as fluffy as I once was...but a decent amount. Part of me says its just because they are not used to seeing me this way (cause nobody is and I've never ever been this low before)....part of me thinks that he's just a concerned father....and part of me thinks OMG what have I done to myself?  That last part is just the emotional aspect cause I am a daddy's girl.

Things that make you go hmmmmm

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Nubianlilly
on 10/21/08 2:55 am, edited 10/21/08 3:03 am - PA
I think you look GREAT.  I really do believe people who are not used to seeing us thin think we look sickly because we aren't carrying as much weight as we once were.  People who don't know you or who are just meeting you wouldn't think that.  When I look in the mirror I try to think about that.

It doesn't always work since we are always our own worst critic, but sometimes if I squint and turn my head a little I can get a glimpse of what other people see. 

I think the other tell tale thing is that you found your comfortable weight. You had gone down a little more than you wanted and found that it wasn't really what you wanted for you.

That's what's important.  Your mind is clearly working well and you are stopping where you feel comfortable.

Keep up the good work.

- Angela

Pam Hart
on 10/21/08 2:56 am - Easton, PA
thanks Angela.  Your perspective on that is a great one and something I appreciated reading.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
dit657
on 10/21/08 3:06 am - Boothwyn, PA
Our families can be our own worst enemies at times - especially if they can't bring themselves to say something nice or positive so they have to make you feel bad about yourself because they feel bad about themselves. Don't let that happen - if you felt you looked good then I'm sure you did, and be proud of it and your accomplishments.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 10/21/08 4:14 am - Easton, PA
Thanks Kathy.  I think it was more out of concern and the fact that they don't see me to often, especially my father due to our conflicting work schedules.  Or at least, that's what I would like to rationalize his comment out to be :)  My mother was quick to follow his statement with "I don't think she looks sickly - I think she looks 'long and lean' " which had us all laughing cause at a whopping 5'3" how the heck could I look long?  LOL

I appreciate the support!!

Pam
EileenWalton
on 10/21/08 3:18 am
Parents always like to see a little meat on our bones.  That doesn't change just because you are older.  Like you said, you are daddy's little girl!

My mother was full Italian.  All she wanted to do to all of us was feed us.  Well, hard to pass up the best Italian food ever made.  Fast forward 50 years and you end up 350 lbs!

What  have you done to yourself?  Nothing, except lose the fluffiness, become more healthy, and increase your life expectancy.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt.  They don't see you everyday, and their perception of you is still that of a loving, fluffy daughter.  They will get used to it.

Parents say the darndest things!
Eileen

Pam Hart
on 10/21/08 4:15 am - Easton, PA
"What have you done to yourself?  Nothing except lose the fluffiness, become more healthy, and increase your life expectancy."  Thanks so much for that reminder Eileen.  Deep down inside I know that is all true - but it was nice to hear! 

As far as your benefit of the doubt - I think you are probably right....and my father gets to see me less than my mother because his shift changes every 4 weeks and very rarely am I over when he is home or awake.

Thanks!

Pam
Shannon O.
on 10/21/08 3:47 am - Reading, PA
Like the others said... give them some time and I am sure their eyes will adjust like our eyes and brains have to when we look at ourselves as we lose the weight...

But, from what I have seen in the photos you don't look sick looking... I see a lot of people I would like to feed when I am working in Petite's next door to Lane Bryant (yeah we work both stores)... some people look great and healthy as a size 0... but some... ugh I want to feed... so hang in there...

Pam Hart
on 10/21/08 4:17 am - Easton, PA
Thanks Shannon.  After thinking about it and reading all the great responses I think you are right along with all the others - it just needs time before it doesn't shock him as much.  Thanks for the understanding!!

Pam
Liz R.
on 10/21/08 4:27 am - Easton, PA
Pam - I think that you look great! And everyone is right - Daddy's (especially with their little girls!) tend to be "over" concerned. Your body is obviously happy where it is as it has stabilized.

Keep up the great work!

Remember it was just 1 short year ago that you were still fluffy - Daddy might just be like our brains and it takes a while for the reality of it all to fit in.

Liz
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views