Birth Control Questions?

tanya72100
on 10/21/08 3:22 am - Schuylkill Haven, PA
So the nut asked if i was on Birth control? Nope I reply. She said well are you done have children? Nope I replied again. She says well my dear you should go on bc asap then. I said ok. What are my choices. Nuvaring or depo. Ok.. I will take the depo. She says oh no.. It causes weight gain. No duh! So then why offer it!!

So i get a script for the Nuva ring!! 51.00 dollars a month!!! Ok.. Now am i being crazy or is this a nuts amount for BC?? Im use to paying like 12.00 a month for reg bc. What other types of BC do you or can we use?

BTW! I would like to get pregnant as soon as we get the ok from the dr's. We really want another one.. maybe two. So any help would be greatly appericated!!

Shannon O.
on 10/21/08 3:34 am - Reading, PA
well as my OBGYN put it all BC pills, etc cause weight gain... he said to use a condom but I can't deal with them because I have such senative skin (they all feel like sand paper)... I was on depo for a year and didn't have a real issue with the weight loss until Jan through March... went off it to the Nuvaring... and it started to do the same after 3 rings... so now we are using nothing... just skip the week I should ovulate (I have PCOS so I don't always ovulate)... and so far after 2 months nothing has happened... but I was on BC for the first year after surgery... at Barix they say to weight 2 years after surgery before getting pregnant... the baby comes out fine... but the mom is put through the ringer nutrion wise because of carrying the baby...

Pam Hart
on 10/21/08 4:27 am - Easton, PA
I know there is a "waiting" period for using hormonal replacements after surgery - but I don't think it's to long.  And considering that you can use the nuva ring now, I'm not sure why you can't use regular by mouth birth control.  I know others have done it.

I personally liked "yasmine" when I was on it a few years back.  I went off of it because I smoked and the risk of blood clots and pulmonary embolisms are REAL high and I had a friend who actually had a blood clot that went to her lung (pulmonary embolism) which scared the crap out of me.  Now, the logical answer would have been to stop smoking.  But it was the birth control I gave up at the time.

Since surgery we've used condoms.  Not real fun - but it works.

Barix does tell you two years - although many others have had children before that and have done fine - but Shannons right - it throws mom through a loop and a half trying to get in the nutrition to keep the baby safe.

I really want to have kids - still have another year to go.  I know Dr. P will be stern on this topic - but I'm gonna bring it up to her on Thursday anyway at my one year follow up.

Good luck.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
tanya72100
on 10/21/08 4:32 am - Schuylkill Haven, PA
grrr! Every doc seem different. mine said she wont ok by mouth bc because we don t absorb it the same after surgery. Who knows.. I called and they are suppose to call me back. We are planning on waiting for more kids until we are married. And the earliest that will happen is OCt 09'. So we have plenty of time ahead. Im only 30. I want all my baby days to be over by 35!!

Sweetkatie
on 10/21/08 5:01 am - Philadelphia, PA
I'm on the Nuvaring and love it.. Have been since about 7 months post op and haven't noticed a weight related issue, but that's just me, it actually helps keep my PMS and cravings a bit in line too... but I only pay 20 bux with my insurance :(  That's the only suggestion I have besides... the methods they used in the olden days haha... good luck to ya :)
5 years post-op (September 19th 2005)

Back on track... and enjoying the ride
Heather D.
on 10/21/08 5:02 am - OH
I had the same question posed to me at my follow up and I am sure it will come up again at my one month.  I am leaning towards Mirena, the new IUD.  I have an appt next month with my ob/gyn to talk it over - 3 of my girlfriends have it and love it.  Anything has to be better than condoms.  I refuse to use depo again because of all the weight I gained.  Nuva ring gave me horrible headaches.

We want to start trying for another child as soon as we get the green light.

Good luck!

rita61677
on 10/21/08 5:16 am - Philadelphia, PA
im going to have mirena inserted as soon as I get my next period. it can stay in for 5 years if you like or you can have it removed when you want to try to get prego. Im very excited. i hate bc pills - seeing as i have never been able to take them like you are suppossed to and dr. p told me they are a no-no ... they dont work as well. as to depo - weight gain. and nuvaring - i tried and didnt like at all. good luck
Melanie B.
on 10/21/08 6:44 am - Doylestown, PA
I have had the Mirena IUD for about a year now. it's ok, no real side effects to speak of after the first few months of having it in (acen and irregular bleeding, but that's all resolved now)

My good friend had the mirena and was pregnant the very next month when she had it removed to TTC so that's no worry either.

It is expensive, i think about $500 however my insurance covered it fully. Planned Parenthood will "install" it on a sliding scale based on your income.

As for me, I'm done - 6 is certainly enough. I am serioucly considering getting my tubes tied in about a year as I'm not ready to be put under again anytime soon.

Pam Hart
on 10/21/08 7:18 am - Easton, PA
I say hubby should go in for the big V....considering you did 6 of em he can do one procedure!  That's obviously only between the two of you, though, to decide ;-)
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 10/21/08 7:28 am
I talked to both Dr. P and my gyn who has had other patients on the pill after WLS. I went back on YAZ 3 months after surgery it took about 2 months to get back on cycle again. I went back to it more because of cramps and wicked PMS things are back to normal again being on it. Yet Dr. P told me to make sure I use a second form of birth control if needed. Not sure if abstinence is the back up she really meant but oh well
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views