Target Heart Rate Zones: Fatburn versus Cardio, what's the diff?

GD_007
on 10/20/08 3:31 am, edited 10/20/08 3:32 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Hello all,

I have a question that I’m almost embarrassed to ask but I know this is a safe and non-hostile environment that I can flaunt my ignorance…prepare to be amazed by my ignorance:

So for years I’ve always wondered about the whole “Fatburn” versus “Cardio” target heart rate zones that most exercise equipment displays while you workout. If I really want to burn fat/fluff….should I try to stay within the target heart rate for “fatburn”? That might mean slowing down to bring my heart rate back down into the range. Or, if I can handle it – should I go ahead and let my heart rate stay in the “Cardio” range as long as I’m not killing myself?

I can find that I can get my heart rate up in the “cardio” range and can keep it there for a better part of my workout before I really do need to slow down. Since my goal is to burn fat I started wondering if I’m thwarting my goal by staying in the cardio zone too long. Then again – I figured “hey, calories are calories. If I’m burning more calories by doing a cardio workout what does it matter – I’m still burning fat and I should be burning more fat when I burn more calories”. Right??

Does anyone know for sure? Should I slow down to stay in the “fatburn” zone or can I go pedal to the metal and stay in cardio hell/heaven as long as I can handle the heat??? 

Thanks,
-GD
...I can see myself
Tearing up the road
Faster than any other boy has ever gone
And my skin is rough but my soul is ripe
And no ones gonna stop me now...

keri2008
on 10/20/08 3:50 am - PA
Okay there Bat Out of Hell (LOL).  I think perhaps a personal trainer, even if only for one session, would be a good thing to do to get yourself on the right track.  There is anerobic and aerobic exercise.  One uses oxygen and the other does not.  This ezine article explains it simply but well.  We have to look at all the areas of fitness and stay up with all of them not just one, spread the eggs around into lots of baskets so to speak.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Aerobic-vs-Anaerobic:-Whats-All-th e-Controversy-About?&id=126596

But then again, I'm not a personal trainer, doctor, physical therapist or anything like that so what do I know?  Just a little but probably not enough to really help you.  So again, personal trainer (one that's CERTIFIED) would probably be the most information-filled option for you in my opion.

Fellow Meatloaf Fan,
Keri
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/08 4:21 am - Eastern, PA
Go for cardio! It's better.

Cardio is fatburn, but fatburn is not cardio.

Kind of like a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square.

Make sense?
GD_007
on 10/20/08 4:54 am - Drexel Hill, PA
someone who speaks my language.....Thanks Norm.

If anyone cares :
A square (regular quadrilateral) is a special case of a rectangle as it has four right angles and equal parallel sides. Likewise it is also a special case of a rhombus, kite, parallelogram, and trapezoid.
Lesley G.
on 10/20/08 5:46 am - Allegan, MI
Hmmm... it looks to me as though you may have just geeked out there, sir! 

Quite all right though, I appreciate a good geometry discussion any day, as I am much more of a nerd than I try to let on that I am...
GD_007
on 10/22/08 5:31 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Party girl - I don't believe you
Lesley G.
on 10/22/08 5:35 am - Allegan, MI
Ahhh, but it was all those years I spent in school that made me become both a party girl AND a nerd.  Therein lies the conundrum...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views