Info on Upper GI with small bowl follow through

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/08 1:48 am
I have had upper GI's before, but I don't remember if I have  had one with a small bowel follow through.  The appointment making woman said to expect to be there for 2 to 6 hours.  Does it take less time for us RNYer's because of our shortened insides? I have to fast, including no water, after midnight the night before....the test is at 9AM...which means I could have to go as longs 3:00 that afternoon without eating or drinking

Any one have one of these done post op and do you remember how long it took?  I am guessing it's NOT going to take 6 hours, but who knows.  Is the barium full of sugar?  If so, I will end up passed out sleeping for most of it LOL

HG
keri2008
on 10/20/08 2:08 am - PA
My friend recently had one (normal insides) and it was only 2 hours (not full 2 hours either).  I haven't had one but I would assume it would be at least that fast.  Barium comes in different "concoctions" to make it more palatable so sugar MAY be included in some of them.  It's important to let the doctor's office know ahead of time AND remind them at the time of your appt. that you've had RNY and CAN'T have sugar. 

keri
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/08 2:26 am
thanks Keri!  I will try to remember to ask for SF barium if they have it....if not, I will live...might get really sleepy, but should be OK

hg
Liz R.
on 10/20/08 4:01 am - Easton, PA
HG - I only had the regular fun stuff - but the Barium is OK for us - it sits VERY heavy in the pouch but I asked (about 20 times) and was told there isn't any sugar in it - doesn't hurt to ask specifically of your Dr but mine was sugarless.

Good luck with it!!

Liz
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/08 11:12 am
thanks Liz. 
Pam Hart
on 10/20/08 9:18 am - Easton, PA
All I know is that the barium we use in the hospital does not have sugar in it.  It also tastes like crap.  We don't use the thick white stuff anymore which apparantly tasted more crappy than the stuff we are using now.  I don't know if they will let you for the procedure - but when we use it for cat scans in the ER we are allowed to mix it with crystal lite (lemon or iced tea only - no red colored ones) for our patients.  They say it makes it taste like crappy lemonade (or iced tea whichever is the case) so either way - they gag on it.

Good luck!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/08 11:11 am
Boy...I am really looking forward to Thursday now LOL  sounds yummy!!
ShaunainHarleysville
on 10/20/08 11:08 am - Harleysville, PA
Nice job on the 10 pounds my friend!!!!!!
Shauna
Deprived?  Are you kidding?  Deprivation ended September 20th, 2005.
RNY 9/05, Plastics 9/08
Still doing it after all of these years...
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/08 11:13 am
Thank you
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views