X-Post from main board: OT: Philadelphia, PA

Mommy O.
on 10/19/08 11:05 pm

I don't know anything about it and DH is considering taking a job there.

What zip codes should I look for housing in?

What parts should I avoid? 

Anything else I need to know?  Is it a horrible city? Do you love it??

Anything would be helpful! thanks :D

Nicole0216
on 10/20/08 12:23 am - Lancaster, PA
my first question is does he have to live in the city? Some jobs require that you live in city limits?
It is not a horrible city there is lots to do and learn about. But you are right you want to make sure you end up in the right neighborhood
Mommy O.
on 10/20/08 6:00 am
No, I don't think he'd have to live in the city.

EileenWalton
on 10/20/08 12:54 am
Philadelphia is a wonderful city to live in.  There is a lot of history here, as well as great restaurants, theaters, sports teams (go PHILLIES), etc.  I work in Center City and live in Northeast Philadelphia.  I drive to work  and on a good day it takes me 45 minutes to an hour to get to my office.  On a bad day it has taken over two hours.  It would be helpful to know where in Philly your DH's job is.  That way we can provide more info on that surrounding area.
Eileen

bubble273
on 10/20/08 1:03 am - Levittown, PA
Hi Christy,

There are plenty of great neighborhoods to live in Philadelphia and plenty to stay away from.  I grew up in the zip code of 19129, the neighborhood of East Falls.  It was wonderful growing up with plenty to do and a lot of mixed incomes.  We even had the mayor and Senator Arlen Specter live right around the corner from us.  And Center City is only 15 minutes away.  So it's very close if your husband has to work downtown.

But Eileen is right, we would need to know where in Philly your husband would be working and then we would be able to help you out more.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Karen

kat19136
on 10/20/08 4:06 am - Philadelphia, PA
I Love Philly...even though I just moved away...LOL.  I did that just to be closer to my Job.  Two zip codes I would recommend are 19111 (Fox Chase)  and 19149 (Mayfair).   There are also plenty of suburbs if you don't have to live in the city. 

~Kat~     ~hw-305~cw-130~gw-140   my DS!!  www.dsfacts.com

Nicole0216
on 10/20/08 6:02 am - Lancaster, PA
where is his job? where will he be working?
Kate R
on 10/21/08 9:40 am
I love Ardmore, about 20 minutes from Center City.
Safe, clean and i am so happy since moving out of the city...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views