Please add this to your vocabulary.

Dennis Belk
on 10/19/08 3:16 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Everyone,
Yesterday at Liz's WLS cooking class we are all in the kitchen and meeting Valerie and John for the first time. We get to talking and sharing our stories and Valerie says something like "When I was fluffy... "

Yes "fluffy" is the new term, the new word to use in our world. Valerie and John don't use that word fat in their home. It's known as the 'f' word. Instead they use "fluffy" and their nieces and nephews know the difference. This couple has done a phenomenal job in their weight loss and they have been each other's main support for 6 years. They keep their "fluffy" photos around to remember but they don't use that "f" word.

After Valerie used it the first time we all started using it, especially Susan. We're loving "fluffy".
Do you remember when you were "fluffy"? We're loving "fluffy" but we're not going back there. It's a cool way to remember where you came from, something we should never forget.

Thanks Valerie,

Dennis
Pam Hart
on 10/19/08 3:27 am - Easton, PA

Sounds good to me, Dennis.

I used to be fluffy too, thankfully all that remains is pictures and as per my jeans I brought to the meeting, I am apparantly half as fluffy as I used to be!

Thanks for the new word.  Did you introduce them to the term successing?

Pam

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 10/19/08 3:52 am - Easton, PA
Pam - we sure did!

Last night I was watching TV - absorbing all the greatness that was yesterday and someone on TV was talking about being "fluffy!" I almost fell off my chair!

Fluffy it is for ms from now on - Love it Valerie and John - see you are instant celebrities :)

Liz
John T.
on 10/19/08 3:38 am - PA
Thanks for the kind words. We had a wonderful time yesterday and look forward to meeting more of us in the former "Fluffy" world.

BTW..this is my first post :)
Pam Hart
on 10/19/08 11:47 am - Easton, PA
I didn't get to meet you and Valerie this past weekend but wanted to say thanks for the new word and also glad to be getting to know you!  Welcome and "hi" to your first post!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Dennis Belk
on 10/19/08 12:39 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hey John!
Welcome to the land of the Grand Band of Losers... and the formerly "fluffy".
Once we get hold of a word we can't let it go.
See ya soon,

Dennis
GD_007
on 10/19/08 5:54 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Nice - fluffy it is!!!

-GD
cleos_mom
on 10/19/08 6:00 am - phila., PA
We did have a great timne @ Liz's house and Dennis is right about Val & John
 you all have to come next time and the food was great
I like that new "F" word FLUFFY
Susan
(deactivated member)
on 10/19/08 8:03 am - Poconos, PA
Dennis, when I read this post I laughed so hard. I know you said you were going to "spread the word" and this is certainly one way to do it. How many members are here again? lol. I'm glad everyone seems to be embracing it though. I think it's wonderful! Thank you.

Here's the story on how fluffy came to be....Bear with me while I have a sappy moment folks : )

I have always hated the F word to begin with and now for some reason, I take even more offense to it since I lost all that weight. I know words are just that - words and maybe I shouldn't let it bother me but it's bad enough that you see yourself in a certain way but then to know others see you the same way and don't respect you because of it can be very damaging to a persons self esteem. I was humiliated and put down for so many years by other people calling me the F word that after I started to lose weight, I thought about it and realized that if I never liked it coming from other people and it hurt me when others said it about me then why in the world would I talk about myself in that way? I felt like I would be just as bad as they were, if not worse because I experienced it first hand and I knew what it was like...So I decided that from that point on, I would never say "I used to be f-a-t" and I would certainly never describe anyone else in that way either. I'm better than those people who felt the need to try and humiliate me and I deserve better than that. We all do.
bubble273
on 10/19/08 8:37 am - Levittown, PA
Hi Valerie,

Just wanted to stop by and say hello.  I wasn't able to make Liz's cooking class, but hope to make the next one.

I've always hated the F word also.  Growing up it was always fatso or fat pig or something put together with f-a-t.  I hated it.  And now it infuriates me when I hear the word.  I don't even let my son say it.  He knows that that is not a word that we use in our house or anywhere.

Today I was at my husband's softball game that I took Connor too.  And Connor, who is my son and is 8 and chunky or fluffy, said "Mom, this kid just called me fat."  I automatically just said to the kid that that is not a nice word and you shouldn't call people that and talk to anyone like that.  I don't hold back any more.  I don't care if his parents or any other child's parents are around.  They need to know that you just don't talk to people that way.  I hate that kids even know that word.  But such is life and we all have to deal with people that don't teach their kids the proper way to treat someone.

Well, I'm glad that you guys have now joined our group.  And also that you got to meet some of the best people on this board.  Take care.

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views