Vitamin B12 & Iron Deficiency??

SPatel4
on 10/19/08 5:58 am - Levittown, PA
I went for my 9 month checkup last week and the blood work was not in I just got a letter from Dr P with a recommendation that I up my B12 from 1000mcg to 1500mcg sublingual. I take the B12 religiously and I don't know why my levels are coming low again. Dr P also mailed me a prescription for an Iron supplement called Repliva 21/7 pills?? Has anybody out there taken these and should I be worried about my Iron being low?? I eat lots of leafy green vegetables and fruits. I was wondering since Dr P wrote the Iron supplement prescription is this the reason I am always bone chilling cold?? I know we all joke about being cold but when I say I am freezing my teeth chatter in the house and outside bundled up. Anyway I am going to call the Dr tomorrow I don't want to bother her on a weekend but just wanted to throw this question out there. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

-Shilpa

People comment on my over 100 pound weight loss and attribute it to my WILLpower, but it is my WANTpower: I WANT to be thin and healthy more than anything else! 

BuCwiLd
on 10/19/08 6:20 am, edited 10/19/08 6:20 am - pocono lake, PA
What about B12 shots? have you tried that? You will be fine, no worries :) . stay positive

Geisinger support forum
jjs1981
on 10/19/08 6:21 am, edited 10/19/08 6:21 am - PHILADELPHIA, PA
My B12 has always been normal or high. My iron levels on the other hand are always on the low end of normal so Dr. P put me on Repliva for a few months then took me off when my iron levels were satisfactory and told me to eat more red meat to keep my iron up. Well, in September at my 9 month check up, the iron went back down and I'm back on the Repliva. Your energy levels and warmth should go up with the medication. Iron has a tendency to cause constipation problems, but I wouldn't say I had a problem with that, although sometimes I need to put in some "extra effort" when in the bathroom. I know TMI, but I want you to be prepared.

Consult           Day of Surgery          Currently        Goal
 282lbs                270lbs                     168lbs          165lbs?
2/7/2007          12/7/2007                  10/18/2008

Pam Hart
on 10/19/08 11:52 am - Easton, PA
The best thing for iron is red meat - but I would definately take the meds she prescribed for you.  Iron deficiency is a common problem with WLS.

The b12 also is important and is again common in WLS patients....without correction it can lead to nerve problems which are irriversible - but sounds like if she's only upping you a little bit it's not to to low.  I believe animal source protein also helps with b12....but it's hard to absorb for us due to the lack of intestines.

Good luck!

Pam
PS:  If dr. p reads this...she's gonna tell you "not to wait to call me till monday....you never bother me" LOL just thought I should share...and yes...she does read the boards!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/08 12:08 am
Shilpa

I just had my 6 month and was both low on iron and b-12 so had to start the iron supplement and up my b12 as well.

I am sure all will get back on track by your 12 month check up!
JillZ
on 10/20/08 1:27 am - Warrington, PA
Hi, I also was anemic and Dr. P. prescribed repliva.  It really works great -for the first time in years I am not anemic and am off the iron.  The way the Repiva works is you take it for 3 weeks and the 4th week is a med that helps your body absorb the iron, I think it's good stuff and will definitely help correct the problem.  Good luck

Dolores O.
on 10/20/08 10:52 am
Hi Shilpa,
The Repliva WILL NOT constipate you.  Take it.  You can cut it in half (that is why it's scored) or take it whole.

I stopped taking it and I'm feeling the effects and seeing it in the mirror.

And I'm thinking about asking my PCP to do the B12 shots for me (my levels are ok...at least at my six month appt) since I can't find my good tasting DOTS at Wal-Mart anymore.

Dolores~

Sherri1789
on 10/27/08 4:16 am - langhorne, PA
 I just had my Pre admission testing last week and was ordered by their GP to take 2,000 Mcg of B-12 and 1 iron pill a day... he was writing me a RX for Repliva then threw it away and said get OTC Iron.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views