nervous newbie

KellyD85
on 10/18/08 10:16 pm - Riverside, PA
Hi there. I am new to this site and I am interested in becoming a family member! I have been 'lurking' around for about two weeks and have really learned alot. Everyone seems so nice and helpful.

I have my open RNY surgery in 6 wks on 12/1 @ Geisinger in Danville. I have never had any surgery before so the 'unknowns' and 'what ifs' are really causing me anxiety.  I want the surgery to become a healthier me.  Any tips for calming the nerves as the date approaches? I have caught myself exhaling alot which is a sign to self that I'm feeling anxious.

Anyone have an epidural with their surgery? Anyone have their surgery done @ Geisinger?

HW/SW/CW/GW
303/275/199.4/150    ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!      

BellaNell
on 10/18/08 10:33 pm - Pleasant Mt., PA
 Hi

I had my surgery  one year ago today at Geisinger Danville.  In fact, when I got out of the hospital, I stayed with my best(and most generous friends) in Riverside!  
I had my surgery done LAP.  About an epidural... I had asked, since I had a knee replacement done with an epidural,...and they said no. However, surgery changes and advances every day, it seems, so be sure to ask your surgical team.
Believe me when I say that the surgery has made me so much healthier...132 lbs gone forever!! Incidentally, I am 57 years old.
As far as any questions, please ask away, the PA Board is very active and supportive....
Pam Hart
on 10/18/08 11:42 pm - Easton, PA
Welcome to the boards!  If you have been lurking - you know that the pa forum is a great place for support and friendships through it all.

As far as the nerves - know that they are normally part of the process.  I have recited this advice that dennis told us once at a meeting - remember you made this decision when you were sane.  When emotions weren't part of the equation.  When you realized you needed to do this for a healtheir you.  Concentrate on those prior feelings to help calm your anxieties.

As far as the epidural is concerned, I don't believe it is possible as they are working higher up in your abdomen - and even into your chest area - and they can't "block" (that's what epidurals do) that high up because it can paralyze your diaphragm which is the muscle of breathing.  I could be wrong on that - but that's what I remember hearing.

Keeping active on these boards helped me a lot too.  Then again I didn't believe I was nervous - up until morning of surgery when I was the blubbering idiot in the waiting room crying my eyes out I was so nervous.  I had kept busy with work and what not and hadn't allowed myself to even feel anxious.  I think freaking out before hand would have been a much better way to deal with it.

So again, welcome, and hope to get to know you better!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
KellyD85
on 10/19/08 12:30 am - Riverside, PA
Thanks for replying..It was mentioned by my surgeon that an epidural is an option to have in addition to a PCA for aftersurg pain control.  I will be getting more info when I meet the anesthesiologist (sp?) in Nov.  He said that they have been having good results. I was just wondering if anyone had one during their surgery.  You are still under general which is good because I can't imagine being awake with your belly hanging open...

HW/SW/CW/GW

BuCwiLd
on 10/19/08 1:06 am - pocono lake, PA
Im also having my surgery at geisinger danville, my last 6 months appointment is on Nov 3rd. Wis you all the luc****ep us posted..

Geisinger support forum

KellyD85
on 10/19/08 10:37 am - Riverside, PA
That's great that you are nearing the end of your 6 mon program. Have you decided which surgeon? Are you having RNY? Keep me up on your progress-hope we will both do well and have no problems!

HW/SW/CW/GW

Shan08
on 10/19/08 7:50 am - the Skook, PA

Hi there,
I had open RNY with Dr. Strodel on 8/11.  An epidural was never mentioned to me as an option.  You just get put under, and come to long after it is over.  Try to calm down... although I was nervous too, remind yourself how hard you worked the 6 month program, and much how happier you will be down the road.  Dr. Strodel is a good surgeon.... he's a vet.  You'll be in good hands.

Just a word of advice,... wear your abdominal binder like it's a legal requirement.  Recovery IS hard, and that helps A LOT. . . In all situations, trying to move in bed, trying to stand from a sitting position, and on your car ride home from the hospital. 

And do not be afraid to use your pain meds ;)

Best,
Shannon

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
KellyD85
on 10/19/08 10:33 am - Riverside, PA
I have no worries regarding Dr. Strodel.  I know several people who have been his patient and they all love him. Do you get the binder while in the hospital? Did you have any complications with having the open prcd? I have to admit-I was relieved when he said no tubes and no staples..YEAH!!

HW/SW/CW/GW

Shan08
on 10/19/08 11:20 pm - the Skook, PA

Well, no complications, per say.  Just had the somewhat rare reaction of stomach spasms shortly after placed in my own hospital room.  They were just plain awful.  It felt like I was about to have another baby... right then and there. 

Otherwise, my incision healed nicely... still healing on the inside, I'm sure (still feel random stings, etc.).  I also had my gallbladder removed during the surgey.  As far as I can tell, all went well.

And yes, they provide you with the abdominal binder.

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
tanya72100
on 10/19/08 11:28 pm - Schuylkill Haven, PA
 I had mine at Geisinger on 8-29. With Dr Petrick. I feel amazing. I had only one real problem and that was constipation, which is gone. I  healed quickly, back to work in two weeks and feel like a new person. Im down 64 lbs since surgery and 97 since i started the program in Feb 0f 08'. Good luck to you!!! You will be fine!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views