Constipation

Gail M.
on 10/18/08 2:40 am - Scranton, PA
  Was do you guys take to stay regulated?  Ouch...it hurts!
Gail

Nicole0216
on 10/18/08 4:06 am - Lancaster, PA
I eat two of the chewable fibers a day. that seems to help.
if i dont drink enough water though i get constipated. and then i have to either take miralax for several days or do an enema
Gail M.
on 10/18/08 6:07 am - Scranton, PA

Someone suggested the latter (enema) but I just don't know if I could do it!!  I'm trying some sort of vegetable laxative.  But I don't think that will soften what's already there!!! Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rita61677
on 10/18/08 7:16 am - Philadelphia, PA
dr. p suggested to me dulcolax suppository and then start metamucil daily (the sugar free one). it has worked wonders.
jdruski
on 10/18/08 8:00 am - Philadelphia, PA
Gail,

I have taken colonclenz which is sold at PennHerb since right after my surgery.  It is all natural and take it 3 times per week.  I "go" twice a day with no problems.

Jeanne
Pam Hart
on 10/18/08 11:48 am - Easton, PA
I have gone through my fair share of this....

If I'm not "to far gone" I take 4 peri colace tablets (that is a stool softener plus a laxative) I take it at night and in the morning it works.

However, if it is already really stuck...I take a dulcolax suppository.  They really work.  Taking stuff by mouth doesn't always work to get the stuff soft enough that is already there.

There were two times that were really really bad....for that I ended up using:  4 peri colace at night.  Dulcolax suppository in the morning.  4 peri colace at night.  Dulcolax suppository in the morning.  Lemme tell you - talk about Moving things right along!  The only thing I can say is after that amount, I had to make sure I went into the bathroom to pass gas all that day - cause I didn't once and ended up throwing out underwear.....

Then of course there is upping the fluid and what not.

I have also started eating a few dried plumbs (prunes) (I prefer the sunsweet ones which are individually wrapped) a day and that definately helps keep everything regular.

Good luck.  And as far as the suppository goes...I wasn't sure I would be able to do it - but when you are desperate you can do anything!  Grab some gloves from work...or just buy some at the store most drug stores sell medical gloves.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
CherylT
on 10/18/08 11:49 pm, edited 10/18/08 11:49 pm - Perkasie, PA
Ugh...this has got to be the biggest pain-in-the-a$$.....literally!.... about this surgery for me. At any given moment I have peri colace, miralax, ex lax and metamucil on hand. I worry that I'm gonna OD on it.

dawgpound215
on 10/19/08 4:45 am - Philadelphia Area, PA

Leafy greens.......spinach, lettuces etc.......does wonders for me. I havent had alot of issues with constipation since ive incorporated more greens into my day

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views