Maybe I'm crazy, BUT ....

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 10/16/08 11:02 pm
After sleeping on that long list of to do's and realizing how taxing it would be, I don't think I'm going to proceed.  I am too old to go through that many surgeries trying to avoid an infection that I need to get to be approved for the permanent micro surgery.  I don't think I have the constitution to recover 4 or more times and remain optimistic that the insurance company will see the need for the final one.  I'm tired of fighting insurance companies and sitting on my butt recovering.  BUT ... yes I had my final smoke yesterday and will not resume it.  It got me thru a trying time with the funeral and grieving, but its over and done with ... cigarettes are on my do not call list.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Pam Hart
on 10/16/08 11:09 pm - Easton, PA
Do I think you can recover successfully from four procedures?  Absolutely.  You are one hell of a determined woman and I have no doubt you would pull through each and every one of them.  Can I blame you for not wanting to go through all of that?  Absolutely.  Now the tricky question becomes is it more beneficial to not go through it and deal with all the issues lymphedema possibly poses down the road?

Only you can answer that.  And I guess in awhile if you feel you do want to go through that and the benefits do outweigh the risks...you can proceed from there at that point in time.

You're in my thoughts!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
FlourPower
on 10/16/08 11:19 pm - PA
Nan,

You do what is the BEST FOR YOU!!  I totally understand not wanting to have all of those surgeries.

Hey, contrats on the last cig....that's a really good thing!!

Chrissy

[

Dennis Belk
on 10/16/08 11:25 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Good Morning Nan,
No rush on this. You're not crazy. You've got time to ponder it, but as Pam points out what about the possible future issues with your lymphedemia? We're always "weighing" crap. The weight  vs. RNY, the smoking vs. healthier lungs in a polluted world, the skin and compromised lymph system that's holding you down vs. several procedures that have the huge "potential" to free you and make your life even better. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
They are all yours to make and you must be ready.
I can tell you that you are very good when it comes to accomplishing goals and moving on to the next one. You are going to need to continue finding battles to win because that's what winners do.

See ya soon, winner.

Dennis
EileenWalton
on 10/16/08 11:49 pm
Saw this after I replied to your PM.  Don't rush making these decisions.  You just had the consult.  Give it some time to sink in.  Just know that we all support whatever decision you make. 
Eileen

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 10/16/08 11:54 pm
You guys do realize that I had RNY to gain mobility and this will take it away.  I will be butt bound for months of healing and going thru the depression of all those surgeries, and then risking an infection that could take away my legs.  I'm in safe water right now, it may be cumbersome, but not life risking to stay where I am.  I may proceed with the massage therapy and compression and increasing my iron level, however, the debulking sounds to me like it would put me at too much risk.  I have my mobility right now, the weight gain I am experiencing now is do to smoking and being on my feet.  I need to keep my feet elevated more and open the capillaries.  Here's hoping the massages will give me enough benefit to avoid the surgeries.  I doubt that the insurance company would fight me at level 1.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Dennis Belk
on 10/17/08 2:45 am - Philadelphia, PA
Nan whatever you decide will be right.

Dennis
(deactivated member)
on 10/17/08 12:57 am
Nan,

I can understand you not wanting to go through all the surgeries and risks. I am one that beleives in following my own heart to do things that are right for me. Which ever your choice I know you are gonna do what is right for you. Good luck with the quitting of smoking.
tammypa
on 10/17/08 1:29 am - Philadelphia, PA
Nan,
I don't think your decision is crazy. You have been through alot in the past two years.
I have to tell you - it was overwhelming just reading everything you were going to have to do.
Smoking is a hard habit to break  - so I commend you on that decision.  It has been over a year
for me and cigarettes are finally starting to smell bad to me. Even though I know how bad they are for you - I still crave them sometimes.
Good luck, 
Tammy

jdruski
on 10/17/08 3:19 am - Philadelphia, PA
Nan

I will e-mail you later tonight.  I do think you are making the right decision.  Being a person who also suffers from lymphedema, I was terrified of the "debulking" procedure.  If you do decide in the future at least you now know what you would have to do.

Congratulations on the "stop smoking". 

I will talk with you later.

Jeanne
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views