can we give blood?

rita61677
on 10/16/08 8:03 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Good Morning PA ... I'm 10 weeks out adn we are having a blood drive at work. I wanted to participate however, I wasn't sure if we can give blood? ANyone know for sure???? Thanks
joldaker
on 10/16/08 8:20 pm - West Bradford, PA

I would call Dr. P and ask her. I think when you tell them about your surgery being only 10 weeks ago they will turn you down, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Highest Wt 299.8 / Surg Wt 285 / Curr Wt 157
sbrunell
on 10/17/08 1:30 am - Bensalem, PA
Rita,
No you can't. I emailed Dr. Pupkova a few months ago about it. I just love how she answers so quickly.

Here is her response:

Hi, Steve,
A blood donation can be considered only after completion of your weight loss, and if you are do not have an Iron deficiency.
Iron deficiency is common after gastric bypass.
So, it is contraindicated now, and is not advisable in general.

Best regards,

LP.

Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Pam Hart
on 10/17/08 1:40 am - Easton, PA
Steve,

I remember you asking this question before.  Thanks for the response from Dr. P.  I know it has come up at Barix meetings before - I'm not sure if the answer was ever brought up as I missed a meeting or two.  We should try to keep it in the back of our minds for future meetings as an "FYI" type of deal.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
GD_007
on 10/17/08 7:02 am - Drexel Hill, PA
Hummmmm...maybe our very own FAQ can start to evolve ......
-GD
rita61677
on 10/17/08 9:18 am - Philadelphia, PA
i called barix and spoke to Lisa and she said not till after being 6 months out can we donate blood. so i guess it depends on who you talk to ... ill go with dr. p's response to steve. thanks all for your help.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views