Today was the day

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 10/16/08 11:20 am

I met with Dr. Herman today in East Stroudsburg.  Here is what he said:

1.  Because I have had no infections or cellulitis flare ups I must start out by going for 3 mos. of Lymphatic Massages 3 times a week and wear compression stockings.

2.  I must stop smoking for at least 3 mos.

3.  I must get my iron count up, he suggested that I double up on my iron supplement and take my peri colace to avoid constipation.

4.  If I can't get my iron count up, I will need iron transfusions.

5.  Once my iron count is up, he will do a debulking surgery.  This is where they open up the area and remove the diseases tissue and excess skin.  Then they do a skin graft to close the area.  This would be done in several surgeries.

6.  I would have to document to the insurance company all problems and need for this surgery.

7.  Only if the surgery is unsuccessful and inflamation begins will the insurance company consider the lymphovenous fistula procedure which is done only as a last resort.

8.  He suggested a medial thigh lift to get rid of most of the sagging skin which is draped over the lymphedemia.

So, my last cigarette was at 9:25 this morning, and now I have to start the process with my primary of finding a location to do the massage treatments and get this all documented.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

J. M.
on 10/16/08 12:10 pm
Good luck, Nan....I KNOW you can do it.

~ Jen   

Arlene E.
on 10/16/08 12:18 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Nan

I have faith that you will work hard to do what you have to do so that you can get this surgery.  You are a determined woman!!!  Look at all you have done.  I did not know you smoked but am sure glad that you had your last one.  These insurance companies are sure tough.  Are you saying that this may not be covered?  

arlene 

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 10/16/08 12:32 pm
I started smoking around the time that my daughter died.  It kept me from eating, and gum was hurting my teeth too much.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

bubble273
on 10/16/08 12:25 pm - Levittown, PA
Good luck, Nan!!!  I hope everything goes through for you.  Keep us updated.

Karen

GD_007
on 10/16/08 12:46 pm - Drexel Hill, PA
God bless you Nan!!
-GD
jovigirl
on 10/16/08 1:39 pm - washington, NJ
Best of luck Nan!

MeLinda 
 Goal is 165 or thigh high boots whichever comes first

Laureen S.
on 10/16/08 2:25 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
You've done so much for yourself, I am sure you can do what's necessary to get what needs doing done.  Sending you positive thoughts to help you along the way, quitting smoking is one of the most difficult habits, but I did it, 5 years and 6 months ago. . .  have not had a real craving for a cigarette in a very long time. . .

Best wishes as you move on to yet another part of your journey!  Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

lauraanne715
on 10/16/08 6:51 pm - Pottstown, PA
Good luck Nan!! I know how hard quitting smoking can be! But you'll get through it!! Good luck with everything!!

Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

keri2008
on 10/16/08 10:11 pm - PA
You have a course laid out and I'm sure you'll achieve it.  We're all cheering you on.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views