New and Scared as the Dickens

kilkrox
on 10/17/08 1:23 am - PA

Any Barix with Dr. Boe in November.? Any and all advice accepted as I am getting excited and a little nervous.   Wondering how the 10 day liquid will go and what to have in my house for when I come home.  Love the posts here and the Pennsylvania energy.  Positive brings positive home.

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/08 1:48 am
Welcome to the Boards...and while not one of Dr. Boe's patients I am a Barix Baby you picked one of the best places to have your surgery. Excitement and Nerves are all normal during this time. Best of luck and if you need anything just holler one of us will holler back an answer!
keri2008
on 10/17/08 1:56 am - PA
Hello and welcome!  I am a Barix baby and Dr. Boe is my guy!  He's fantastic and you're in great hands.  He'll give you a wonderful tool!  10 day diet is different for everyone.  I had some good days and some days that were tough but it was over in a flash.  Just stick to it the way they outline it at Barix.  It sets up your surgery to go quickly and easily.  When you get your book from them at PAT's it will outline everything you need to have for when you get home.  But, get a fine mesh sieve (for full liquids/soups) now, good to have around.  You'll want LOTS of ice pops (sugar free of course) and fudscicles (I fell in love with them!).  Might want to also have a variety of flavors of jello.  I had it at the beginning of the 10 day diet but couldn't stand it after day 2 or 3 so I just stopped eating it.  Everyone is different. On so many levels you're starting over so just agree to go slow and give yourself lots of time when eating this is something you can do now.  I worked on slowing down my eating and cutting things up small BEFORE surgery so I could begin to see what it would feel/be like afterwards.  Everyone on the boards is fantastic and supportive and wonderful!  They're always here and always willing to help so whatever comes up feel free to post and you'll get what you need.  If you have any specific questions or anything about Dr. Boe please PM me and I'm happy to help out in any way I can.  Other Boe folks will respond to you soon I'm sure!  Kathy is a great one, I think she's away this week but she's a huge support and help and had Dr. Boe.

Keri

Keri
kilkrox
on 10/17/08 2:10 am - PA
OH MY!!!  Thank-you, thank-you.   This is such a great venue to receive the encouragment and advice I need.  I could cry to have gotten such good advice so quickly.  What an incredible community.   I will start to cut everything up and purchase a sieve.  You look great and give me hope.   Kilkrox
Laureen S.
on 10/17/08 3:55 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Hi,

Welcome to the PA Forum, there are many Barix patients who have had Dr. Boe as their surgeon and I am sure you will be happy with your choice.  Being nervous is a very big part of this, but you've landed in the right place to get support, Barix also has a site where you can meet up with other people who've had their experiences there, however, there are a good many of us on this forum who have Barix experiences and Barix, if you asked any of us, is the Number 1 place to go for Bariatric surgery.  They also have good support for pre and post ops, so take advantage of that aspect too!  Support is a key component to having people who understand the ups and downs of this way of life, while family and friends can be of help, no one quite understands the enormity of what we experience as we morph into our new bodies. 

As it is, you are lucky, because starting November 1, there will now be more support than ever before.  On Saturday, November 1, we begin an exciting new support group, which is being done due to popular demand, at this point, we believe it will be broken down into several smaller groups for a period of time, such as pre-ops, early post-ops (0-6 mths), 6-12 mths and then over a year, a men's group has been discussed, as well as lap banders and so on, hopefully something that everyone can benefit from.  The meeting will begin at 12 noon and go, at least initially, until 4 p.m., then, of course, there are the night groups, pre-op the 2nd Tuesday of every month and a post-op group that meets the 3rd Wednesday of every month, those meetings start at 7 p.m. and generally run 1.5 hours with topics and discussions that relate to our struggles and our triumphs.  So if you can, get to one of those before your surgery date.

Again, welcome and you are in good hands!

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

jovigirl
on 10/17/08 4:54 am - washington, NJ
Welcome & Good Luck

MeLinda 
 Goal is 165 or thigh high boots whichever comes first

Pam Hart
on 10/17/08 5:40 am - Easton, PA
I am also not a Dr. Boe baby but AM a Barix baby.  You will love it there!

As far as the liquid diet goes - as a lot of people will tell you - the first few days are hell but you will get through it one day and sometimes one hour at a time.

For having stuff at home - don't stock up on a lot of anything.  Even if you like it pre surgery or right after surgery you might hate it a day or two later!  You will definately want to have things like sf ice pops, broth, milk, and various protein powders on hand.  I normally reccommend getting sample packets of the protein powder to use to see if you like it after surgery so you are not wasting money.  Go around and ask if places have them (GNC I believe does) and go online to see if websites have sample packets.

You'll be nervous and excited all in one - and that's to be expected - but you'll do fine!!  Keep close to these boards - they are wealth of info!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
New_Beginnings_36
on 10/17/08 6:56 am - PA
Welcome to the PA Boards! Congrats on your upcoming surgery! No worries, the doctors, nurses and staff are wonderful at Barix! You will do just great! Best wishes to you :)

<3 Stefanie    

way-of-life.gif image by SissyLalaSamantha
LadyJwb
on 10/17/08 11:10 am - Philadelphia, PA
I'm not a Dr. Boe baby , but I'm a Barix baby you will be more then comforted at the Barix a wonderful place to have your surgery. I was afraid as the dickens as well...lol I think it's normal , but this is the place to come, everyone here is awesome. Welcome to the Pa Forum again the Barix Rocks !  

Patricia R.
on 10/17/08 11:36 am - Perry, MI
Hi and Welcome to the PA forum and the Barix Family as well.

I did not have Dr. Boe, but I sure hear great things about him.  I do know that you are in terrific hands with Barix.  You will be well taken care of, and will want for nothing. 

As for groceries to keep to prepare for post-op, broth, sugar free ice pops and fudgecicles, sugar free yogurt (I use Dannon Lite and Fit), sugar free pudding.  You will probably be using a lot of that pre-op.  Not sure though, as I did not have to do the liquid diet pre-op. 

As for protein powders, I only use AnyWhey, which is sold at Barix.  It is flavorless, and the Barix Bible, which you will receive at your pre-admission testing, has recipes for protein shakes using it. 

I also bought a lot of Isopure protein drinks at GNC for my liquid phase, as it has 45 grams of protein in one bottle.  I only liked the Grape Frost flavor, as it tasted like grape Kool-Aid. 
Feel free to ask questions and share your fears and frustrations.  We have all felt as you do, and wondered how we were going to get through certain stages of this journey.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views