Newbie - Question about Pennsylvania Hospital

phillybnj
on 10/16/08 8:38 am, edited 10/16/08 8:41 am - Blue Bell, PA
Hi everyone,

I am new to the boards and considering WLS.  I am planning on attending an orientation at Pennsylvania Hospital on Wednesday.  Has anyone had their surgery there?  Can you tell me what I can expect at orientation?  Thanks so much...

Phil
(deactivated member)
on 10/16/08 10:24 am
I am not a PA Hospital patient, but there are some on here, so I am sure they will fill you in.  I just wanted to say Welcome!! 
bcutekitty
on 10/16/08 11:14 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi!i had my surgery there with Doctor Wernsing,they will give you alot of info and you will meet with the Nut..... and you will find out what test you need to get done i was approved and on the table within 3months everything went well get doctor dont like the staff in his office that much i guesss i should say at the front desk but the hospital and him are great good luck and keep me informed

jdruski
on 10/17/08 3:21 am, edited 10/17/08 3:22 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hey Phil

I am 2+ years post op.  I had Alan Schuricht. 

I haven't attended any of the support meetings there in over a year.  If I were to rate the surgeons there they are top notched.  I choose to go there as I was born there and also because I wanted someone who had the experience and knew what they were doing and if something would happen there is a complete staff of doctors there to help. I have also had 2 rounds of plastic surgery done there.

I would rate the hospital as good to very good.  It is an old hospital the rooms are tiny and the care is as best as you can expect from an understaffed hospital.  Also always remember that as important your surgery is there are people in the hospital who are in some cases fighting for their lives.  They have a bariactric wing and it was just starting to take shape when I was there.

Now the quesiton you asked, the orientation.  I would rate it and the support meeting at best fair.  The former nutrionist is now the bariatric coordinator and he might have been able to shape it up.  The orientations are mandatory so make the most out of it, but your real medical questions are best answered by the surgeons.  Other information you can get by reading or asking questions on this forum or the main board. 

As far as support, all three of the surgeons specialize in general surgery mostly gastro-intestional (sp?).  There office staff do the best they can for amount of work that they have to do

Please feel free to contact me (PM and I will give you my phone number). 

Good luck to you.  Please let me know how you make out and who is your surgeon.

Jeanne

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views