HELP.... anyone remember me ?????

M. J.
on 10/16/08 5:40 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Hi everyone ..... I am SOoooooooooo in need of some help .... It's been 7 months since my RNY and I'm down 90 pounds BUT---my husband and I have been on vacation, then a wedding out of town and then another wedding out of town and its the 1st pounds I've ever gained since my surgery ....So--since we came back-- our computer crashed and we just got a new one and it took me forever to find you again ...  I need to get back to basic's and know that everyone can help me here .... tell me about no water while eating and why----tell me about the pouch test--I'm not as full as always and scared to death about it... and tell me about hair falling out and what to do since that has just started to happen ..... HELPppppppppppppppppppp !!!!!
Thanks
MJ

Pam Hart
on 10/16/08 6:30 am - Easton, PA
MJ,

Step one:  Relax!!!  You are entering the stage where the weight doesn't come off as easy and what not and you have to use everything you learned in these 9 mos to the max and continue to do so for life.

Basics:
Protein First
Veggies/fruit next
Select carbs

5-6 small meals a day

MOVE MOVE MOVE.  Get out and walk...do an exercise tape...go to the gym...whatever it takes...get your A$$ in gear.

The no drinking w/ meals thing....its for two reasons.  1)  It will take up room in your pouch so you won't have room for the food.

2ndly it washes that food right out of your stomach and allows it to slide down.  So...A) You don't stay full as long.  And B)  It doesn't stay in your intestines long enough for the nutrients to be absorbed....except when its carbs....it makes it a slurry and your intestines are more than willing to slurp up those carbs which are stored as sugar.

You can google the five day pouch test.  It's basically 2 days of full liquids, one day of soft foods, one day of ground meat, and one day of regular meat.  No drinking w/ meals.  Complete the meals in 15 mins or less (which I totally totally disagree with by the way) and no carbs.  Personally - we just discussed this at the meeting last night - I think its ok to use this to "reset" your head and your thinking...but not ok to do this to lose weight.  You should NEVER "diet" again....your surgery is a lifestyle changing tool and you need to understand that.  Your tool will always be there - you just have to maximize it.

Make sure you are getting in at least 64 ounces of non carbonated caffeine free fluids a day.  Water is best and more is better, too.

Oh - remember - no drinking for 1/2 hour AFTER your meals as well (for the same reasons above)

Come on back.....we're all here.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 10/16/08 10:50 am
Crap!  I wrote this big long response to you and lost the whole thing!! 

In short.....Pam covered it all.  Get in your protein and start taking biotin.  You need protein to keep your hair healthy and biotin will help with it growing back in.  Move, move, move....if you are not dripping in sweat when you are exercising, you are wasting your time.  Listen to your body...the very first sign of being full....STOP eating.  I still struggle with this!!  The pouch test can help you get your head back in the right place and make your pouch feel a bit tighter.

Most importantly....congratulations on the 90 pounds!!!  Great job  You are doing the best thing by reaching out and asking for help...you recognize you are having a problem and your are addressing it. That is awesome! 

HG
M. J.
on 10/17/08 1:29 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Pam and Heather ....
   Thank you both sooooooo much for the emails and support ..... I knew I got back here for a reason ....
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
MJ

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/08 3:03 am
Thank YOU for coming back...we need you as much as you need us.  We are glad you found your way back.  You are going to do fine!

HG
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views