Thanks - One Year Of Really Living!

Laureen S.
on 10/15/08 11:54 pm, edited 10/15/08 11:59 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
No loss for words today . . .

One year ago today, I was nervous and excited, at peace with the decision I had researched and determined to be the right choice for me. I went to Barix to begin a new life journey. . .

10/16/2007:  236 lbs.
10/16/2008:  169.5 lbs.
Shed:  68.5 inches  (my height is only 60 inches)

Today I am looking back at all the wondrous moments and look forward to my ability to live "normal" in a world that I don't know how to be "normal" in and perhaps I am not supposed to be "normal" but just okay with who I am and the gifts I bring into this world, gifts I am still trying to tap into and learn to believe that I have.

I experienced many of the WOW moments that we all do as post-ops, some of which were the realization that I could put my seatbelt on without lifting my butt, being able to put a regular bath sheet towel around this body of mine, not the kind we use for a beach towel, flying coach to Germany to celebrate my youngest granddaughter's 1st Birthday, I was able to feel comfortable for the very first time in my life flying and had at least 6 inches of extra seatbelt, whereas the year before when I went to meet the baby for the first time, I had to lift my overhung stomach, suck in and just barely was able to strap myself in, not to mention the embarrassment of having others look at you with distaste that they have to sit next to the "fat person", whether it be plane, train or bus. To shop in any clothing store, I still have a hard time realizing that one and have not been in many, which is probably a very good thing for my bank account

A personal moment of satisfaction came with my Barix Buddies, Team Mission Possible on July 4th 2008, I crossed the finish line in my first 5K, along with my friend Arlene, not to brag too much, but I believe we were the first "walkers" (of our group) to cross the finish line, meaning we walked the entire 5K, never would I have attempted to do such a thing before. There are many more, but I think I documented most of them along the way.

I will not claim to be the poster child for this journey as I cannot say, like some, that I've never tested the boundaries of my pouch, for I have and perhaps it is why I am not at "goal", but what I can say, is I make choices on what I do and when I find myself stress eating or emotional eating, I am aware of what it is I am doing and I can stop, verbalize what I am feeling and renew my dedication to change the things I can, one day at a time. Today, I make much better choices then at any other time in my life and I abide by the rules in my protein, exercise and water regimen, as well as my vitamin supplements. That dirty word "exercise" has become something I do routinely and if I miss a day I feel like I missed something important in my life.

I have struggled comparing myself with others on this path, what I have come up with is that no two journeys are the same, I am where I am and it's a far away place from where I was one year ago. I still have thoughts that tell me I am not enough, that I don't fit in with the rest of you, I still wobble, but I have come to believe that if I work this to the best of my ability, if I continue to stay steadfast and keep "successing" I will achieve some measure of personal satisfaction, but as the word "successing" suggests, there is no end in sight, it's a continuous journey and along the path there is so much to be gained. 

The friendships I am forming as a result of this journey are one of the best parts of this journey and when I wobble, I know one of you will extend a hand of support, so while I have lost my padding, I have gained more than I could ever hope to and there is much more to come. . . 

Thanks to all of you for being a part of the journey that I am on!

In loving gratitude, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Pam Hart
on 10/16/08 12:05 am - Easton, PA
You have me all teary eyed now.  That was a gorgeous post.  Thank you for being there for us and here's to more years of successing.  You are such an inspiration!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Laureen S.
on 10/16/08 12:55 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Thanks Pam!  One day I will write my book and publish my poetry, as I've been told many times throughout my life that I have a way of expressing myself with words that is a gift. . .  one of my long-term goals. . .

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

Sweetkatie
on 10/16/08 12:11 am - Philadelphia, PA
"To shop in any clothing store, I still have a hard time realizing that one and have not been in many"  2 years post op I walked into a mall... at the time I was wearing a size 8-10 and saw a Lane Bryant and thought "Oh good... they have a Lane Bryant"  then I caught myself!  I haven't shopped there for over a year and would swim in anything I put on!  This may be a constant in your life... but it's a good one! 

You've done an amazing job and you should feel SO SO proud of completing your first year.  Life will never be the same.  Congrats!!
Laureen S.
on 10/16/08 12:53 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Katie,

It was so nice to meet you last night at Barix and I look forward to getting to know you better.  Thanks for your kind words and I agree, life is and will never be the same as it was and for that I am grateful!

Hugs, Laureen

Mary Benford
on 10/16/08 12:44 am - Emmaus, PA
Amazing post Laureen!!!

Take today to bask in the accomplishments you've made, and truly appreciate all the hard work you've done.
CONGRATS!
I knew you'd be great!

Much Love,

Success is a journey... not a destination!     

Laureen S.
on 10/16/08 12:51 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Mary,

Thanks so much, coming from one of the "great" "successing" alumni, I am truly grateful for your support and kind words, as well as to know you (and Norm), you are truly an inspiration to me and I wish you a lifetime of "successing"!

Love, Laureen

tammypa
on 10/16/08 1:23 am - Philadelphia, PA
Laureen,
That was beautiful - think u may have that career as a writer yet.
I am so glad to count you as a new friend.
Congrats on your successing!
Tammy  
Laureen S.
on 10/16/08 2:38 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Thanks Tammy, It's really great getting to know you better, I feel a good friendship forming ;)

Hugs, Laureen

jackie j
on 10/16/08 1:28 am - Glenmoore, PA
You are one very eloquent spoken woman.   It's been a pleasure and a privilege getting to know you through this journey and I wish you continued "successing" always. 

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views